06

⤖ CALUM'S POV

Out of breath I arrived at Ashton’s house. I had skated from the shit little village I lived in to Melbourne. Ashton’s little sister, Lauren, opened the door, and led me to the garage, eventhough I already knew where it was, but I didn’t want to be rude.

Ashton, Michael and Luke were already jamming, but as soon as I entered they stopped to greetme. “Great, almost complete.” I gave Ashton a weird look. “What do you mean almost complete? Is there a new bandmember I know nothing about?” He chuckled, but then explained. “Bethany, my friend, the one who was with us Friday, is coming over. She’s a songwriter and she does fashion and shit, so she’s helping us prepare for our gig at the festival, which by the way is in two weeks.”

By the time he was done talking, my skin was probably as white as my bed sheets. I couldn’t sing in front of her. And how was I supposed to go on with my life, if she would be around me all the time? “Wow, Cal, you okay?” Michael asked worried. “Don’t be a girl, it’s just about a thousand people, we’ve got this.” Luke added. God, if only he knew how little fucks I gave about all those people watching us. There was one person that would be watching us, and I almost shat my pants even thinking about.

“Oh hey, I think I heard someone knocking.” Michael said. Ashton jumped up, and rushed upstairs. You’d almost think he was the one with a crush on her, instead of me. No. wait. I didn’t have a crush on her. She was just another random girl, that I would forget soon after the gig and then I could focus on myself again. But then she walked in the room, all eyes were on her, and I ignored my stubborn thoughts about not liking her. She looked gorgeous, just like she did two days ago.

Never in my life had I felt that awkward, and I was so pissed at Mali for being the reason why. But when I got home fifteen minutes later, I had already forgotten about it, because all I could think about was the touch of her hand. I had jerked away immediately. I’m not sure why I did, I guess I was just surprised and afraid of what would happen next. I’ve never really been in love, so I didn’t know for sure, but I figured this would be what it felt like.

“Hey guys.” Bethany said, and we greeted her. “I didn’t know you also sang.” Michael said surprised. “I’m not that good, but I enjoy doing it so whatevs.” she chuckled. “Can you sing us something?” Michael asked, jumping up and down like a 4 year old. This boy was such a kid. “Yeah, I’m curious now!” Luke joined in. “Ehm okay I guess.. But only if you guys play, otherwise it’ll be awkward.” “Sounds like a plan! What kind of songs do you know?” Ashton asked, while sitting down behind his drums. “Maybe some Marina And The Diamonds? How To Be Heartbreaker is my absolute anthem.” she said smiling.

I don’t know how or why, and I don’t think I want to know, but we all knew how to play the song, so we started playing and Bethany sang. She had an amazing voice, and she sang the song as if it actually were her anthem. For some sort of reason it kind of felt like she was singing about me, but I decided to put that feeling away, so I could just enjoy Bethany’s singing.

“Wow, you are really good!” Luke exclaimed when Bethany had finished singing her last ‘At least I think I do’. I nodded in agreement, and so did the other boys. “Thanks. But hey, we’re here for you guys. So, Ashton asked me to write a song for you guys, and I came up with this..” she said, while handing out some papers.“If you don’t like it, I have a bunch of others, and if you want to change it up a bit that’s okay too.”

I took a look at the lyrics, and I instantly loved it. We tried playing it, and after a few attempts it actually sounded pretty good. One of the lines she had given me was “We know what we want, we know we’re gonna get it somehow.” She smiled as I sang the words, and so did I.