S I X

Whisper Black

I heard voices from within the kitchen, causing me to deter from speaking to my guards and wander over there. I listened to them, my eyes widening as I realize it's Fable and Frederic. I push open the door and there she sat, laughing with him while he cooked her something.

At first, I noticed her hair. It wasn't straight like it was yesterday, no, it now fell in beautiful curls down her back. I widened my eyes at her beauty, it seeming so surreal. I caught some of the words that Frederic was telling her, and I felt my cheeks slightly tint. Wow, the king of entire country, blushing. That's rich.

"Now, now, Frederic. Calm down." I saw Fable stiffen and turn towards me, her golden eyes wide. I inhaled sharply as I took in the details of her face for what seemed like the first time. Her small nose, fluttering eyeslashes framing big, golden eyes. Her cheekbones high, but slender and petite. Even though the girl had curves for miles. I remember seeing her in that dress and wondering if the Moon Goddess herself had visited my palace.

My wolf howled and tried controlling my mind as I smiled slyly, all because of him. Fable furrowed her brows and I knew she was confused. I sighed softly and forced Atlas to the back of my mind before walking over to her. Frederic was watching the strange scene unfold with a knowing smirk. I snapped my eyes towards his and frowned slightly, causing him to start whistling suspiciously and continue making what looked to be waffles.

I stood beside Fable, smiling down at he raised for the first time. Frederic was right. I was smiling more, and I'd only just found my mate. I guess when you've been searching for something for so long, finding it is worth more than gold.

"Hello, Fable. I see you've found the kitchen." I said softly, not wanting to scare her like I did last night. I was angry with myself when she trembled out of fear from my possessiveness. I wasn't really like that, I think, it's just Atlas was persistent as fuck.

She nodded and kept her beautiful eyes downcast. "Uh-yeah. Sam and Max, your guards, they helped me." I nodded back, my eyes trailing down her face and hair. Curls suited her.

"That's good. I'm sorry I want there to help you when you woke, I was attending to some castle meetings and different things like that." She looked up at me as I spoke, her eyes trailing down my face like I had only a few moments before.

"It's alright." She turned away from me and an awkward silence plagued us once more. I wanted so badly to talk to her, get to know who my beautiful mate was. But, my reputation and everything always stopped me from having a relationship. I always kept my friends at an arms length, but I feared they would rather be farther.

I cleared my throat and nodded at Frederic, who had stopped smiling and was now giving me a  curious look. He knows. He knows how I feel somehow.

I shook my head the slightest and he cats his eyes downwards, setting a steaming plate of syrup and butter covered waffles in front of Fable. I could see her eyes taking in the whole plate with a hungry look. I felt a small smile grace my lips and I inhaled. My mate likes waffles.

"Right, well, I'll go back to doing my work. I'll see you whenever." I said the last part softly and turned around, leaving the two people in the kitchen and bracing myself for another day of paperwork.

I looked up from the book I had been reading as the library door creaked open. I saw a flash of red and my senses were invaded with the sweet and spicy smell of cinnamon as it pervaded the air. Fable. 

I saw her poke her head in and then slowly her whole body came into view, my huge clothing not doing anything to lessen how fucking beautiful she was. I held in a smile as she nervously looked at me and gestured to the many rows of books. "Could I read one?" Her soft, sweet voice asked.

I had to keep myself from nodding instantly. "Of course. You could read all of them if you wanted. My library is open to you, Fable." I nearly growled from how her body responded to me saying her name. I saw a shiver rack down her spine, and I knew it wasn't because of fear.

She nodded and slowly walked to a section, her small fingers trailing on the backs of te old books. I watched her, the book in my hands forgotten as I realized I was living in a fairytale. She's my princess.

She stopped for a moment, her fingers gripping a particular book before she slid it out of its eternal place. She flipped open the cover, scanning the contents with excited eyes before she smiled at it. I was blown away by how pretty her smile was. It just added to her ethereal beauty.

She read the book and walked over to the chair beside me, absentmindedly sitting down and eagerly curling up. She looked so small in the chair.

I smiled to myself and continued my own book. Together, we read in silence. And, I didn't know if she really accepted the fact that I wasn't willing to let her go.