S I X T E E N

Whisper Black

There I stood, my ear red and hurting and my heart deflated. It was my fault, of course. I should've told her.

I didn't want her to be involved, just because... I didn't want her to be hurt. By being involved, I knew that she could get hurt by the stupid mole in our midst. 

Captain Jasper and I deciphered the only way the rogues would know of our plans was that there was a mole amongst us. We have narrowed it down to three people, but I didn't want to get Fable involved because of the possible dangers.

 But still, I was being an over-protective asshole and I kept a major decision from her. I felt so stupid. I probably would've done the same thing. Yes, I know that. That's why it's stupid.

Luca huffed in my mind, but said nothing else. We both knew we were in the wrong. And by wrong, I mean there's nothing I can do to help.

Spencer walked out of my office and clasped my shoulder with his hand. "Well, you're fucked man." I turned to him, annoyed and disappointed. "I know that." I turned back to the hallway Fable marched downwards. "I just wish I wasn't so fucking stupid."

He huffed, his face twisting into agreement. "I know what you mean. Last week, Arabella told me I was a selfish pig because I wanted to have pups in the coming future. She wants them now, but I don't think I'm ready for that." I raised a brow, my eyes meeting the ground.

"Well, she's the one having them. If she wants them now, then you're gonna wann have them now." I advised, knowing Arabella as the kind who knows exactly what she wants.

He sighed, a small smile taking over us features. "Maybe it's not such a bad idea. I'll see you later, Mate." I smirked. "Get some, Spencer."

Then, once he left, I felt sad again. Ugh. I hate this.

I started to walk back to the library, in hopes Fable would be there, when I sudden had a steering pain attack my shoulder. I cursed in pain and leaned on the wall, feeling around for my wound when there wasn't one. I immediately knew why. Fable.

The sun had set and now the skies were orange to blue, the blue being the darkest and most prominent. It was then we decided to go back, but reluctantly as I did not want to walk to Whisper. Ah, yes. If he tries to say sorry, kick him in the balls.

I chuckled darkly, the idea had already crossed my mind. Yeah, yeah. I'm hungry.

I wanted to be back in the kitchen with Frederic, as I hadn't finished my waffles and my stomach was rumbling with hunger. Ophelia nodded her agreement. With that thought, I started trotting faster.

But, I picked up on a large crack not far from where I stood. We immediately stopped and sniffed the air. Dread settled in and I froze with fear. There were at least six different scents in the air, all of them rogue and disgusting.

I started running, and then I heard deep growls. It made me rush with adrenaline and start running as fast as I could towards the castle. I heard deep, heavy breaths behind me, right on my tail and I yelped as I felt a paw at my tail. 

Then, I felt someone lunge at my shoulder. I yelped even louder and someone lunged at my back, tackling us to the ground. I felt teeth snap right by our ears and I tried howling to signify my situation, but I was cut off my someone grabbing our scruff.

They picked us up and I heard deep, wolfish chuckles from the huge rogue. Pathetic. She's tiny.

I felt Ophelia start growling and our fur stood on end from being humiliated. Let me show just how tiny I am! She wiggled around and slashed at the rogue's face, causing him to drop us and growl in pain. 

We started running right as another rogue tried to grab us, but missed as we were quick to escape. Wind was rustling the trees as it started to rain heavily, the sky getting dark and lightning flashing. I kept going, but I managed to trip over a log, causing a heavy body to lunge at me again.

The rogue growled heavily in my ear and I could hear many more coming right for me. I screamed out one word as I was thrown against a rock, blacking out instantly. "Whisper!"

I was racing into the forest, sharp pains shooting in my head and shoulder, but also fear. I felt the fear of Fable. I could smell the rogues and they would pay. I heard her faintly call my name, her voice sounding tired and pained, causing me to surge through the woods.

I ran as fast as I could until I saw six rogues, all circling Fable with their teeth bared. I felt anger and a dangerous blood thirst surge through me like a lighting bolt, causing a very loud, very dangerous growl to erupt from my mouth. All of the rogues turned to face me, and I could tell they were intimidated by my size.

It's the king! One of them screamed. Others started snarling and backing up, but before they could move, my teeth were sunk in one of their necks. I killed him instantly, moving onto the next one and repeating until there were only two. 

Luca growled, causing the both of them to sink back and run away. I immediately turned to Fable, who was laying by a rock, her head bleeding profusely. I grasped her by the scruff carefully and turned towards the castle, running as fast as I could.

After only a few minutes, the castle was in view and I was rushing towards it, trying to be careful with her. I ran inside, causing the guards who were now stationed back there to be alerted. I ran towards the medical bay on the farthest wing, not bothering to shift as I ran through the doors. 

Two werewolf doctors who were doing routine checks looked at us and started to prepare everything very quickly. I set her down on the bed and they started checking her injuries. I sat there, watching my injured mate with wide eyes. If she died, I would also die. Nothing could happen to her.

I whimpered and felt fear constrict my heart as the doctors exchanged worried glances. This is all my fucking fault! If I would've just told her, she would've been fine!

I felt tears start to trickle down my face, unstoppable as I watched her limp body being moved. It hurt so badly. She would be better off being without me.