Chapter 6

I pace my room, phone held tightly to my ear "No, mama, really. I am okay... I know you are worried... Violent?... I wouldn't call him... violent, no. He is just particular." I look towards my mirror, bruises cover my face as well as a gashed open lip. "Mama, I'm fine. Truly. This job is wonderful, I..."

I turn around, to see Mr. Fischbach standing at the doorway silently. Before he finally whispers   "Put her on speaker."

I sigh, pressing the speaker button. "Oh my sweet Ryland. I am so worried. When I stopped by today, my love, you looked so worn. And beaten. You need to tell me who did it. Was it that Fischbach man? I swear, when I find him I am gonna.."

"Mom, it wasn't him. I just fell, alright?... Mother, I have to go. I will visit you soon." I quickly hang up as Mark steps closer to me.

"Why didn't you tell her? Huh?" Mark wraps his arms around me, nibbling my neck. "You really want this job don't you?"

I look in the mirror at him blankly. "I will keep your filthy job. But I lay with you no longer. You... are no man. You are a sick, sick boy with your hands in the wrong cookie jar." I whisper.

"Everything I have done to you, has been nothing but passion and consent. I have broken no law. You loved every moment we spent together. You moaned for me. Came for me." His hand grabs my throat gently. "Screamed for me."

Mr. Taylor walks in as Mark quickly pulls away from me, draining pale. "Well well well. Someone lose their temper?" I turn red. "Must have been a pole." He mumbles, distastefully.

"The stairs, actually." Mr. Fischbach says quickly corrects. "He fell."

Mr. Taylor grabs my arm, pulling me to him. "Sure. Listen. Ryland. I came here for you."

I stare at him a little shocked. What would a man like this want with me? Frankly, what does anyone want with me? Why am I in this situation, and how? "W-What? I..."

Mr. Fischbach steps forward, grabbing my arm and yanking me behind him roughly. "Ryland, you are forbidden from speaking with this man."

I ball up my fists. "FUCK YOU! YOU AREN'T MY BOYFRIEND, AND YOU CERTAINLY AREN'T MY DAD!"

Mr. Taylor grins. "Ryland. I wish to employ you. I will pay you double what this man is. And with better conditions. Come on. It would be perfect. The best for the best."

Mark looks at me desperately. "Ryland, I...." He looks back to Mr. Taylor and drops down to his knees, holding his head down "Mr. Northstrum. I grovel at your feet. And beg for you to stay. Please. I... I need you here, and..."

"For what? If you can tell Mr. Taylor why you want me here so bad. I will stay." I say softly, staring down at his shivering pale body at my feet.

He looks up at me, tears rolling down his face as he shakes in fear "I-I..." Mr.Taylor grins in amusement.

"Well. He seems to be tongue tied. Shall we go, Mr. Northstrum? I would love for us to fetch lunch and-"

"Out." I say quite bitterly, pointing towards the door. Mr. Taylor and Mark stare at me. "I SAID OUT! I WISH TO BE BY MYSELF TO THINK IN MY QUARTERS!" They both hurry out, fearful of what I could do if they stayed, slamming the door behind them. After a few moments it opens once more as I turn my back to it. "I said. I want to be alone."

"Boy troubles?" A voice calls out. I turn around to see a curvaceous woman, bleach blonde hair and vibrant blue eyes standing at the doorway. Mark is a fixer upper, dear."

I wipe my eyes, sniffing back the emotions. "Who the hell are you?"

She slowly walks in, closing the door. "My name is Jessie Ulnar. The old head mistress of this house. I was nineteen when I started to work here. Now look at me. Twenty-five and visiting back here to find my ex plowing his head mister of the manor."

"You... dated Mark?" I say, shocked. I figured him gay. Not bisexual. Or is he something else?

"Until he came out as gay. I use to ride him just the same as you. Not that it makes any difference now. He is in love hopelessly." She flops down on my bed, relaxing visibly as my face heats up with embarrassment.

"Me and Mark haven't slept together. And he doesn't love me." I say, adjusting my collar once more.

"I can prove he does." She says sitting up with a sneaky grin on her cheeks

"Fine. Prove it."