Chapter 13

I look at myself in the mirror. I do admit, Mr. Taylor has a way of making me look good in whatever he picks. It's like he knows me! Well, he does, but that's not the point. I hear the door open slowly and I smile, looking up and hoping to catch a glimpse of Richard. We used to talk so much. I almost forget everytime that I am going to see no such thing. Instead, I just see the bright smiling face of Mr.Taylor. Or, I guess, he likes to be called Donivan now.

"You look lovely! Blue and yellow look radiant on you darling." He says, gripping a plate of pink macarons. My favorite! "Strawberries and cream. I knew they were your favorite. So I had the chef's cook some up for you. Are you ready for the party tonight?"

I quickly shove a cookie in my mouth and shrug. "Rich people parties tend to be a little. Boring."  

He grabs my hand, pulling me out of my room and into the one next to it, causing me to drop the remainder of my cookie to the ground in shock.

"Now it's a little small and uh

"Now it's a little small and uh. The lights arent blue like they were SUPPOSED TO BE!" He yells out to the man standing a big panel on the back wall. The man starts to panic and flick switches.

"It's beautiful! I love it! I love pink and purple and red! I love the dancefloor! There is so much room to dance and there is a DJ table! Oh, I can just picture it! Dancing and laughing and... Oh, Donivan, it's perfect! I just... I wish Mark was here to see it." I say softly. I feel Donivan's hand rest on my shoulder, I turn to him, a slight smile on his cheeks.

"I called Mark earlier. He said he will try his best to make it. He has a very important meeting today." He says quietly. "But I want you to go sit with the DJ and pick some songs you want. This party is about you. I made a menu of all your favorites. Invited all your family and friends. And I got some photographers so our faces are plastered all over top magazines tomorrow. Your party will be one of the best all year."

I turn red "You... Aren't embarrassed of me?"

He giggles "Why would I be? Now go!"

*Lé time skip*

I laugh, dancing up against my mum. I haven't seen her this relaxed in so long. It means the world to me that she came. She smiles, grabbing my hand and leading me to the side and grabbing us both a glass of champagne. She raises her glass clinking it with mine. "I really like Donivan, Ryland. He is a good man. And I know... You went through a lot these past few years. You were always an outcast for being gay and... You deserve to be happy. And I see how happy he makes you. Do you... Feel a connection?"

I tap my glass slightly, looking around awkwardly, my face a bright red "Mum, I... I know you mean well and I love you. But after Mark pushed me away... I don't wanna feel anything for a while. Donivan has put me in luxury but. I mean, I appreciate it and all, he means a lot to me. I don't know how I feel about him. Or anything yet. Me and Mark had our fight three weeks ago. He hasn't called. Or tried to see me. I think it's over between us and I'm scared and upset."  I walk past her and into the back garden as she follows me. "Mum, I was in love and he broke me." I say, tearing up.

"The most beautiful stones can be broken by love." She grabs my hand, turning me to her. "He hurt you. Why did you stay with that man? Why didn't you go with Donivan sooner? I was so worried. I saw you beat up and... I thought he was gonna kill you. Why, Ryland?"

I yank my hand away, slamming my drink down on the ground. "I was IN LOVE!" The champagne coats the stone ground, and my mum steps back, worried. "I was in love and blind and I was his punching bag when he was mad and I was his sex thing when he wanted it and I was his servant when he asked and I HATE THAT! I MISS HIM BUT I DO! He... He was my first. I wanted him to be my last, but he doesn't want me! He never wanted me, mum!"

She looks up and turns red. "Um. Ryland..."

I wipe at my tears. "Everyone tonight has had no problem telling me that me and Donivan would be perfect. And I know he wants me, but every part of me misses Mark! Because no matter how horrible he treated me, I loved him! I... I still love him! But if I ever told him that, he would want nothing to do with me, so I shut my mouth and look where it got me! In a party with a man who loves me and I can't stop thinking about... The one who doesn't." I whisper. I turn away from my mum and pause. Donivan stands there staring at me, eyes teary as he slowly approaches me.

"Ryland, are you..." I turn away from him and run off near the front of the house, wiping my tears as I get to the front gate. I enter my password and it beeps at me. Come on, stupid system. It's broken! I tap it in again and whimper, shaking the bars. I hear gentle footsteps behind me as I collapse, crying with my head on the gate. Donivan sighs softly. "Come on, Ryland. Let's get you home."