Chapter 23

I smile as Donivan pulls out my seat for me. I sit down as he quickly sits next to me, Mark hesitantly sitting across from me.

"So, was there a reason you came by all giddied up, Mark?" Donivan says softly.

He looks down, nodding. "Yeah, uh. I was at a banquet before I came over."

"Funny. I hadn't heard of a banquet tonight." Donivan mumbles, looking over the wine menu.

"Yeah, cause you weren't fucking invited, Don," Mark replies bitterly.

"Mark," I growl irritated. He looks to me before Donivan slowly closes the menu, handing it to the waiter.

"Screaming Eagle Napa Cabernet, please." He says softly. The man walks off as Donivan grabs my hand. "Do you have a problem with me, Mark?"

"Yeah, I have a fucking problem. You brainwashed my fiancé."

I lower my head as the two begin to argue. The whole restaurant looks to our table as I feel my face heat up with embarrassment.

"BOTH. OF. YOU. STOP!!!" I yell. They both go dead silent before Mark stands up.

"WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME, HUH?!" He yells at me. I stand up, rage pumping through every vein in my body.

"I WANT YOU TO CARE! LIKE, REALLY CARE! BUT YOU ARE SO SCARED TO BE A QUEER YOU WON'T COMMIT TO ME! SO I LEFT." I feel my eyes begin to sting with tears as Mark's face flashes bright red in anger. He slowly pushes in his chair and walks to my side of the table, before dropping down to one knee and grabbing my hand.

"Ryland Northstrum. You came to my home. With the mindset of a worker. A maid. A servant for me and every desire I held. I used you." He says loudly. Every patron of the restaurant begins to take out their phone. "I treated you like shit. I made you feel worthless because I believed that was the only way to make you stay with me. I was wrong. And this mistake did not go unnoticed. It was worse than losing millions. It was worse than death. I lost the love of my life."

Every person in the restaurant gasps. Donivan's eyes begin to water.

"I... Am so helplessly in love with you. I want every bit of your life. And I want you to have your dream spotlight wedding. If I have to shout it from every rooftop. Tell every news station. Whatever you desire. I have committed to doing that. I don't deserve this lifetime with you. You deserve so much better. But I hope that in the months you have dealt with me. You have fallen in love with me. So... In your absence... I gathered my courage. And every opinion at every custom jeweler I went to..."

He slowly reaches in his pocket and pulls out a red velvet box. "And uh... Now. I guess is the part. Where I ask you to be my husband." He opens the box making tear fill my eyes. "It's not perfect. But it's pretty... Just like you," He says quietly.

I turn to Donivan as he slightly smiles through his tears

I turn to Donivan as he slightly smiles through his tears. "Not my question to answer, love."

I look down at Mark, staring hopefully at me.

"Yes,"