Chapter 7

I shimmy under my bed and Jessie smirks at me. "How much are you willing to bet, pretty boy?"

I think for a moment. "Lunch on me?"

She nods. "Deal." She drops the covers down to hide me as the door opens. The clicks of polished dress shoes fill the room, making me cover my mouth in fear of being revealed.

"Where is Mr. Northstrum? I wish to apologize for our argument earlier this evening." Mark says softly, walking around Jessie. I watch his feet glide across the floor swiftly and smoothly.

"No. But while he is gone, how about we have a little fun, Marki? It's been forever." Jessie's red high heels approach Mark and are immediately stopped in their tracks.

"Jessie. No. I told you no more." He says sternly, turning from her. "Now where is he?"

"Why do you care?" She calls out,irritated.

"BECAUSE I ASKED YOU A QUESTION!" He snaps back, making me shrink back in fear. Is he gonna hit her too?

"WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU LATELY?!"

"I NEED SOMEONE FOR A CHANGE!" He says angrily, walking towards Jessie quickly. "He. Is mine. I don't want you. And I certainly don't want anyone else." He scoffs, disgusted. "I just need to find him. And apologize for our argument before he runs off to Taylor and drops to his knees and spontaneously chokes."

I crawl out from under the bed and look at him, stunned. "Mark?"

He glares at me. "This was a set up?! How dare you drag me in here you vicious, disgustingly woman and COME ON TO ME AND..."

"You never say you love me!" My confusion at this moment must baffle the two. "Why would you hit me? Why would you push me away and treat me the way you do?! YOU SAY YOU NEED ME, BUT YOU HURT ME!"

"I NEVER SAID I LOVED YOU! LEARN THE DIFFERENCE!" I see Jessie slowly back out of the room as Mark steps forward. "WHO ARE YOU TO TELL ME WHAT I CAN AND CAN'T DO?! I AM YOUR BOSS. MY FEELINGS TOWARDS YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY IRRELEVANT!"

I tear up. "THEN WHY AM I HERE IF YOU DONT CARE ABOUT HOW I FEEL?!"

"BECAUSE THAT'S HOW I AM, RYLAND!" He turns away from me, the loud screams of frustration going silent. The only sound I can hear is his heavy angry breathing. "I'm a sadist. It's how I am. Besides. You don't belong in public eye."

"Why the fuck not?" I am so offended. I believe that my sophistication and loyalty out stands many in public eye. Especially in the line of business.

"Because I don't want you to go through that." He says sternly, turning to me, pressed chest to chest with me. "It is torture. To make every aspect of your life perfection for public eye. Every flaw you have must vanish. Or be suppressed. It's unhealthy. And I wouldn't want you in such a situation that changes who you are."

"What if I want to? You can't control me." I whisper shyly.

"I won't let you. You will obey me. And be a good boy." He pulls me in slowly but forcefully, wrapping his arms around me as his soft and sweet lips meet mine, causing me to shiver against him. My fingers tangle his hair in my tight grip, leaning forward against him.

"When will you ever take an elegant touch?" He mumbles.

"With you, sir? It is impossible." I whisper

His eyes fall down as he steps back, leaving me with no touch.

"I... believe your employment here has far reached a standstill with your affections." He says sternly, looking around the room. "I believe you would be better to quit."

"You are so... confusing. You kiss me. Then boss me around. You say you need me. Now you are firing me? And you are making me leave? What the fuck is wrong with you? You indecisive, narcissistic, back- stabbing little..."

"I never told you to leave." He says quickly. "I said. I wish. To terminate. Your employment. Nowhere in that sentence did I ask for you to leave my home. Or my presence." He turns to me, blank expression. Unreadable.

I cock up my eyebrow. "Then what do you want?"

He shrugs slightly. "I simply request you move into my home and... find employment elsewhere. Or if you wish, I could continue to pay you. If you terminate your daily and nightly duties." He says nervously.

"So. You want me to be your boyfriend?"

"I didn't say that! Don't put words in my mouth." He warns. "Do we have a deal?"

I think for a moment. That sounds like heaven. "Uh. Yeah. I-I guess. Deal."