Chapter 12

I hum, smiling, gently gliding down the hall as I carefully open the door to Mark's study, yielding a tray with his afternoon tea and a sliced apple. I am stopped at the door by a politely smiling Mr. Taylor. He stands and approaches me as Mark watches him closely.

"Mr. Northstrum! Or, soon to be Mr. Fischbach. My, I must say you look rather dashing in comfy clothing." He says, grabbing a piece of Mark's apple and biting seductively. Ugh. It's just sweatpants and one of Mark's lazy-day tee shirts.

"Ryland, please sit. You have received a very gracious offer from Mr. Taylor. I wish for you to hear it directly from the snake's mouth." He says bitterly. I slowly sit down, setting his tray on the table.

"Mark, what's going on?"

Mr. Taylor smiles, sitting next to me. "I wish for you to come work with me. Full time!"

I feel my face heat up as I look to Mark. His face is blank and unreadable. "Well. Uh. Mark. How do you feel about this?"

He shrugs nonchalantly. "It doesn't make any difference to me. You aren't my Mister of the Manor anymore." I almost feel my heart truly break. I tear up. Did he not want me around? He is just PUSHING me into the hands of this man. Mark looks to Mr. Taylor "Why don't you two sit and discuss pay and hours for this job, and..."

"He would be a live in Mister of my manor. Whatever payment he desires, he will receive. The only catch is. He can never return here, unless it is by my accompaniment. " He says flatly.

I hear Mark inhale sharply and I smile. Finally. A reaction! "Well. That is up to Ryland. That is his choice really. But, that uh..."

I stare at him, surprised. Really? So he doesn't want to marry me. Of course he doesn't. He has standards to uphold. Mr. Taylor grabs my hand. "Well?"

I glare at Mark and nod, wiping my eyes. "Deal."

Mark stands up quickly and so does Mr. Taylor. "PERFECT!"

Mark looks at me panicked as I turn away from him, quickly walking out. I walk to my room and begin to pack my stuff furiously. I knew he didn't want to marry me or be around me.

"What the fuck was that?!" Mark says, stomping in. I look at him and push him roughly.

"YOU SOLD ME AWAY, YOU ASSHOLE! YOU DIDNT EVEN SEEM TO CARE I WAS LEAVING! YOU DIDNT EVEN FIGHT FOR ME! YOU JUST GAVE ME UP! YOU BASTARD! FUCK YOUR BULLSHIT MARRIAGE PROMISE TO YOUR MOM! I AM LEAVING!" I begin to zip my duffle bag as I feel Mark yank me back by my hips, grinding against me and letting hot angry breaths out on my neck.

"You are leaving over my dead body." He growls, biting roughly at my neck. I push him back and turn to look at his stunned face, now teary-eyed in fear.

"That can be arranged. Stay away from me." I mumble, grabbing my duffle and stomping out of the room. Mr. Taylor grabs my duffle from my hand and leads me out of the house.

"So. I am planning a big party in the next few weeks. To celebrate your arrival. What do you say?"

I cringe. "ANOTHER BLACK AND WHITE FORMAL?!"

Mr. Taylor grins. "Something different. With a little more... Color."