Chapter Twelve - Ginny

Ginny looked up from the couch as the door to the rooms opened. Luna stepped in and smiled at her.

"Oh, there you are. I was going to walk back here with you."

"Oh, sorry," Ginny said. Luna shrugged off her robes and took off her sweater.

"It's rather warm in this school, don't you think?"

Ginny shrugged. "It's no different than the Burrow."

"My house is usually kept cool. The Nargles don't like the cold."

"Oh." Ginny was pretty sure that Nargles weren't real, but she had been convinced that the whole mate thing wasn't real too, and look where that got her.

"Have any fun homework tonight?" Luna asked. Ginny noticed that Luna had slight bags under her eyes. Maybe Pansy was right. Maybe she was torturing her.

"Not really," Ginny answered. "You?"

"Oh, I have an essay on the properties of the Wiggenweld potion," Luna said. "Some of the ingredients can have many other uses if you mix them differently."

"Cool."

Luna sat down at her desk and took out her homework. Ginny sighed. She didn't know how to bring it up. She wandered into the bedroom and pulled out the diary she had found mixed in with her books on the first day. It was blank, so Ginny decided that she may as well use it. She hadn't gotten around to that until now.

I can't do it. I'm such a stupid idiot.

To Ginny's surprise, the words faded and new ones appeared.

Can't do what?

Ginny bit her lip. Was there someone on the other side of this? Was it that Tom Riddle whose name was on the back?

Who are you?

I could ask the same question. My name is Tom Riddle.

I'm Ginny.

Well, Ginny, what can't you do?

I'm mates with a half mermaid but I'm scared to fully accept her. I know I'm hurting her but I don't know how to stop being scared.

You likely will not stop being scared until after you do it, Ginny. Are you already friends with the half mermaid?

Yes. We met before school started.

Then just say it. I'm sure you will feel better after you do. One of my old Prefects was a half mermaid's mate. I assume you know what happens to them, and that is why you are scared?

I do know, but that's not really why I'm scared. I'm more scared of my parents' reactions. And my six brothers'.

Six brothers? That sounds dreadful.

It's nice sometimes.

What do you think they will do if they find out?

Get themselves killed trying to break the curse. Especially Mum and Bill. Mum because she's protective and Bill because he's an actual Curse-Breaker.

If this Bill is a real Curse-Breaker then he should know that this type of curse cannot be broken.

I know. But Mum might go crazy.

Then that is her problem. You must only focus on yourself and your mate, Ginny. Do what you know to be right, for the greater good. That is what matters most in life: doing what is right.

I suppose you're right. Okay, I'm going to go accept her.

What is her name?

Luna.

Then I wish you and Luna a happy life together. Do come back for another chat soon; I get rather bored being a diary.

I will. Thanks for your advice.

Ginny put her quill down and closed the diary. That was interesting. She had been expecting to dump all of her problems into the diary, but she hadn't expected it to answer and help her make a decision.

Ginny hid the diary back in her book bag and peeked into the study. Luna was still writing her essay with a relaxed smile on her face.

"Luna?" Ginny asked, stepping into the room.

"Yes, Ginevra?"

"It's Ginny, Luna. How many times do I have to tell you that?"

"I know you prefer to go by Ginny, but I find the name Ginevra much prettier," Luna explained. "But I can call you Ginny if it really bothers you."

"Thank you," Ginny said. She looked down at her shoes and took a deep breath. Now or never. It was what was right.

"I want to accept you," Ginny blurted.

Luna dropped her quill. "What?"

"I want to accept you, Luna. I know it's hurting you and I want to help stop that."

Luna smiled. "It doesn't hurt that bad, Ginny. If you want to take more time - "

"No," Ginny said firmly. "I want to do it now. I accept you."

Luna stood up and pulled Ginny into a hug.

"Thank you," she whispered.

Ginny nodded and hugged Luna back. Was this the bonding?

Luna let go and sat back down at her desk.

"Was that it?" Ginny asked. "Did it happen?"

"Oh, it was done the moment you said the words," Luna said. "I just felt like hugging you."

"Oh, okay." Ginny looked back down at her shoes. Tom Riddle was right; she did feel better now that she'd done it. Maybe the lack of bonding had been affecting her, too. She still didn't know much about her fate other than the untimely death part.

Shaking herself out, Ginny grabbed her Transfiguration homework and sat down at her desk, which was next to Luna's. Luna smiled at her again before returning her focus to her essay. Ginny found herself smiling a little. She was being braver. Maybe she'd make her family proud yet, even if she died after graduating.

Luna and Ginny worked silently for a good hour or two before Luna began to yawn. Ginny found herself yawning as well and packed up her homework. She could finish Charms during breakfast or something.

"We should go to bed," Ginny decided. "Come on."

"I'm almost finished with my History," Luna protested. "You go to the bathroom and I'll be in in a minute."

Ginny nodded and brought her homework back to her book bag and then grabbed her pyjamas. She hurried into the bathroom to take a quick bath and brush her teeth. When she emerged, Luna was floating in her pond, petting a rather large fish. Ginny shuddered. She didn't know how Luna could sleep with fish swimming around her.

"You should brush your teeth," Ginny reminded Luna.

"Oh, yes. I'll be right back."

Luna dried her feet as she stepped out of the pond and disappeared into the bathroom. Ginny lay down on her bed and let her hand brush the water's surface. It was cool. Maybe a little cold, actually. No wonder Luna thought the castle was always hot, if she slept in water like that.

Luna returned a moment later and slipped back into the pond. She swam over to the edge of Ginny's bed and reached out a hand. "Goodnight, Ginny."

Ginny awkwardly shook the hand, feeling something like calm wash over her. "Goodnight Luna."