three

The weather really bugged Margo. Not because of the ongoing climate crisis, which she always told Owen was to blame on the technological advances in the world. But because it was unpredictable, and that uncertainty and guess work, greatly upset her.

Margo's eyes were focused on the window in the emergency room. Watching as the rain, which wasn't falling in the sky this morning she'd noted, fell from the normal grey clouds that covered the town of Forks.

"Margo!" The sounds of her brother's voice made her turn her head, watching as he rushed into the room, still in his work clothes. Her eyes went to his brown overalls, the different colours of paint splattered on every inch of surface area. Today's colour must have been hunter green; it looked fresh compared to the other 100 dull spots of colour all over the outfit.

"I'm sorry I couldn't get here sooner" Owen sighed, his heart practically in his throat as his hands cupped her cheeks and his eyes scanned over her body.

"I told them I was fine, but because of protocol, they couldn't let me leave without a guardians signature"Morgo informed the older man, making him chuckle at her. Her voice held no annoyance or upset, not at the hospital anyway, not the way teens her age would feel. Margo enjoyed rules, she lived completely by them. Margo believed the world stopped working well when rules became null and void.

"Ah, Mrs.Baker, how are you feeling?"Doctor Cullen said, smiling his perfect smile as he made his way over to her bed.

"I'm fine" Margo said, her eyes skimming back to the pitter patter of rain on the window.

"We checked her for head trauma, she's all clear for that. Her hands scraped on the pavment which created a large abrasion on each palm. We cleaned it up to make sure there was no debris in the cuts. It's going to hurt for a few days but nothing to be worried about"

"I saw in her cart that Margo has Aspergers Syndrome. I'm sure you already know, but sometimes things like this can really throw someone like Margo off, her anxiety might be heightened for the next few days" Owen looked at the doctor with sad eyes before they moved to Margo.

"Thank you for being so kind with her, I'll make sure she's okay" Owen's lips pressed into a thin line as he nodded his head. It wasn't usual for doctors to take notice to her, not to talk past her or treat her like a child and not talk to her directly at all. Where Owen felt, and knew, they should live in a world where thank yous for regular human decency shouldn't be given, to find someone so warm and kind towards Margo was certainly not a given, and the thank yous felt necessary to him.

"Could you thank Edward for me?"Margo said, taking both men away from their somewhat quiet conversation and turning their attention back to the girl who sat criss-cross in the dead centre of the bed.

"I think he's just talking to Bella in the hall, I could send him in if you'd like"The Cullen father said, his pale skinned smile meeting Margo's eyes for just a second before she looked down at her hands which sat on top of her feet.

"I, um, sure. thank you, Doctor Cullen"

"Please, call me Carlisle," He said before turning his back and walking away.

"No, Doctor Cullen is fine" She said, making him chuckle as his hand reached out to open the emergency room door.

"How are you feeling Mar?"Owen asked as he sat down on her bed, placing his hand on top of her scraped up ones.

"Margo, and I'm fine"

"Are you?"

"Yes, Edward pulled me away before the Van could hit me. Doctor Cullen said I was fine"

"Sometimes fine doesn't mean physically. Its okay if you're upset about it" Margo's eyes met Owen's, he was the only one she could somewhat hold eye contact with. The girl looked back and forth, as if she was trying to put pieces of a puzzle together in her brain.

"Because I left early today, I have to go in earlier tomorrow, so I won't be able to drive you to school-"

"I could drive her"The voice made Margo jump slightly, her face tilting upwards to see Edward standing a few feet away, his face looking concerned as he looked her over, seeing everything was fine.

"Um-"

"I'm gonna go sign the paperwork okay? Ill come back to get you in a few minutes" Owen said, patting her hands softly before standing up, giving Edward a small, glance before making his way towards the door, leaving them all alone in the large room.

"I know routine is important, I promise to be there on time" Edward said with a chuckle as he looked at the girl on the bed, his eyes locked with the crown of her head as her eyes focused on the bed sheets.

"Are you sure you don't mind? I wouldn't want to mess up you're morning routine"

"Don't worry about it, I'll look forward to having some company"

"Ever been in an accident?"

"Never"

"Music volume?"

"Loud enough to hear it but never loud enough that I couldn't hear you"

"Speeding?"

"I only ever go the speed on the signs"Margo shook her head as she processed his answers, all acceptable to her.

"Then yes, thank you"Edward stood there for just a moment, watching as multiple parts of her brain went around in circles, it made him frown at her.

"How does 8:05 sound?"Edward asked, making Margo shoot her head up, one of the rare moments where their eyes met.

"That's what I was thinking, yes please" She said with a nod, making him smile lightly at her.

"Um, my address is 74 Midland street"

"I'll be there, bright and early"

"8:05" Margo reminded, making the pale boy let out a laugh as he nodded his head. With that, Edward went to turn away, worrying he was going to make her feel uncomfortable.

"Hey Edward?"Margo called, her voice shaky and unsure of her words, but none the less it made him turn back around.

"I'm not sure why you risked your life for me, I mean really the risk was much higher than not, but thank you, I-"Margo wanted to continue, but she wasn't sure how to express her thoughts out loud, not in a way that made sense to anyone, not in a way that even made sense to herself.

"Of course Margo, I'll always be here to help when you need it"This time, Edward didn't leave any room for questions or comments knowing how overwhelmed she was feeling. He made his way out of the emergency room door. The pale boy was sure that if his heart had a beat, it would be thumping out his chest.

That was the day he got one step closer to Margo Baker.

published: 03/06/2019
edited: 07/11/2023