five

Margo sat in class, her eyes focused on the whiteboard as her teacher drew an elaborate drawing of a plant sell. The sound of the bell making her jump slightly as she closed her binder and let out a sigh. She was on edge today. Margo couldn't tell you why, but she felt it as soon as she woke up. The anxiety made her stomach twist into knots Margo just couldn't seem to get out of. It was the kind of anxiety that would have made any normal kid stay home because they couldn't even imagine leaving the house. But Margo's insistence for keeping her schedule made her put her feelings away, they weren't as important.

"Remeber, you're essay is due at the beginning of class next Monday!" Mrs.Burberry yelled to the honours bio class as the bell for lunch continued to ring, the sound of school chairs and side conversation muffling most of her loudness, but Margo heard her perfectly. Margo threw her backpack over her shoulders as her yellow binder was pressed flat against her chest as she stuck her headphones in her ears.

Between The Bars by Elliot Smith played through the small speakers in her ears. This was her song for the moment. It was the song Margo played over and over. The song that brought her peace and calmness, the song that she'd pick above all others, until next month when she'd find a new song. It played loud. Loud enough not to hear the call of her name, multiple times. The harsh tug on her arm pulled her back as she let out a scream. 

Everyone in the hallway stopped. No one moved or made a sound as everyone's eyes fell on the girl who's breathing was heavy and panicked.

"Margo, I'm so sorry," Bella said, her face filled with shock and horror as she watched tears well up in Margo's eyes. It felt like the world began to fall in slow motion as her eyes moved around to see girls whispering about her, one even let out a laugh before muttering the world freak.

Margo tried to control her breathing, trying her hardest to practice her box breathing, but it wasn't working and she couldn't stop the tears from falling from her eyes as she held her binder tighter to her chest. Margo's feet went as fast as they possibly could, her eyes landing on the wooden bathroom door with the female stick figure. Small sobs leaving her lips as she pushed the heavy door open, not bothering to check before she moved into the middle stall. She placed her bag on her lap as her whole body began to shake, not noticing as she began to count her fingers.

"Margo? I'm so sorry" Bella said, the loud sound of the door shutting making her jump from her place on the black toilet seat. Margo didn't answer, but her sobs and heavy breathing were enough to make Bella frown from her back on the other side of the stall door.

Bella didn't say anything else, her eyes moving quickly back and forth before she turned on her heal and walked out of the bathroom as quickly as Margo rushed into it.

The hall had gone back to its normal semi-busy self as Bella made her way swerving around people, muttering small "Im sorrys" as people made comments about her cutting them off. Bella didn't stop until she laid eyes on Edward, who looked about as nervous as Bella did when he couldn't find her.

"Edward! I, Margo, um, I-"

"What did you do?"He asked, his eyes became full of fear as they moved quickly to scan her face.

"I scared her, I didn't realize how zoned out she was. She let out a scream and everyone-"

"Where is she?"

"The Ba-" Bella couldn't even get the rest of the word out before Edward took off, running faster than Bella had ever seen someone run. Edward had little regard for anyone who stood in his way, but he was going fast enough that most people cleared out of his way. The last thing he cared about was the fact that he was entering the woman's bathroom as he pushed the door open, earning a few looks from girls as they made their way out.

"Margo?"Edward whispered. He could hear her heavy breaths as he walked towards the middle stall, placing his cold marble hand on the blue door.

"E-dw-ard?" her voice choppy and dry as she let out another sob, the sound was enough to kill him.

"Are you okay?"

"No, they were all looking at me. I was just scared"He could hear the thoughts in her mind, all of the people looking at her replaying over and over in her mind. Without looking at her, Edward could practically see the tears fall down her face.

"It's okay to be scared Margo" Edward said, listening as he heard her stand up, unlocking the stall she opened it to, their eyes meeting for just a second before she did something unexpected. Margo walked closer to Edward, wrapping her long arms his waist, which he immediately reciprocated.  Wrapping his arms around her shoulders.

"How about I take you home yeah? Maybe you'll feel better there" Edward whispered, his hands rubbing up and down her back.

"I, um, okay"She whispered back, nodding her head against the soft material of his shirt, but neither of them had decided to let go just yet.

Margo hadn't said a word since they left the bathroom, but she had kept close proximity to him, her eyes never leaving their shoes as she felt others stare. Edward had glanced at her every few minutes, the frown never leaving his face as she watched her count her fingers over and over again. Her breath still a little uneven.

"Here we are"Edward said, his voice softer than it usually was around her, he knew sensitive she was.

"Do, do you think- it would be okay if, you came in?"It was her way of telling him she didn't want to be alone.

"For as long as you want me too"

"I keep saying thank you-"

"You never have to thank me for caring about you"

"Yes, I do" Margo nodded, her thumb sticking out as she started again at one.

"I'm different, even I know that. Its why people don't care about me, or want me as a friend; because I'm different. I'm not easy to get along with, or so I've been told" Margo said, slightly shrugging her shoulders as her eyes held a gaze with the front of her house. Edward felt a pang in his chest as the words left her mouth.

"I care for you deeply Margo Baker" Edward had a hard time finishing his sentence. Because yes, Margo was different. But that word seemed to have a negative connotation, and to him 'different' wasn't a bad thing. Margo was extraordinarily amazingly, different, and he loved it.

"Don't say things you don't mean. One day you won't be here, and that will hurt" Margo's voice was more monotoned now, 'matter-of-factly almost.

"I don't plan on going anywhere, anytime soon" Edward told her, fully engrossed in the rawest conversation they'd ever had.

"Are you being sarcastic?"

"No, I promise"