Persona 5 AU Part 6: The Hotel of Dishonesty.

It's been almost a year since I made the previous part to this, but I decided with the announcement of Persona 5 the Royal and Persona 5 Scrambled Eggs, that I'd give this another go.

So where we last left off, the Phantom Thieves were forced to go underground, due to a 30 million yen bounty being placed on their heads. After hearing that Haru's Fiancée, Sugimura, intends to take over the company to "save" it, the team decides he should be their next target. When entering his details, they enter his full name Issiah Sugimura (a partial anagram of his Japanese VA's first name), but realise that Okumura Foods isn't his location. Yuuki points out this would make sense, since he hasn't officially gained the right to manage the company as of yet. However, the thieves are stumped, since none of them know Sugimura too well, not even Haru, they don't know where his palace would be or what his distortion is. Haru then explains that Sugimura comes from a wealthy family and he lives in a mansion on top of a hill (typical rich boy stuff) so the team enters that into the Metaverse Navigator and it works. However, they still don't know the distortion. Haru then tells the thieves she will somewhat "sacrifice" herself and allow Sugimura to take her out somewhere, hoping to get the information. The thieves are split on this idea. Haru, Makoto, Futaba, Yuuki and Morgana think it may be the easiest way to get the information, since Haru is the only one who could get close to Sugimura, but Ryuji, Ann, Yusuke, Hifumi and Shiho are against it, worrying for Haru's safety. It's up to Ren (the player) to decide, but ultimately, the team agree to let Haru spy on Sugimura.

The next evening, Haru returns to the Phantom Thieves hideout. She explains that the mission went well and she thinks she may have found out what Sugimura's distortion is. She explains that Sugimura told her that even though he's satisfied the way he was, he mentioned that since he was young, he's always wanted to own a hotel for all kinds of people to live together. The team is sceptical about this, since it doesn't really sound like what Sugimura would really want, but when Yuuki enters "hotel" into the Nav, it works. The Phantom Thieves all unanimously decide that they will enter the palace and will look around first before they begin the heist. Thus, the team enters the Palace of Issiah Sugimura...The Hotel of Dishonesty.

The Hotel of Dishonesty

Immediately when the Phantom Thieves enter the hotel building, they are overcome with a feeling of impressive disgust. There are many gems and jewels lining the buildings rooms and hallways, and most of the place is gold coloured. ""all kinds of people" my ass!" Skull exclaims in frustration "Yeah, you could only stay here if you were super loaded..." Phoenix adds. With no idea where to go to find Shadow Sugimura or the treasure, Fox proposes they ask the cognitive being at the desk. Queen and Shogun offer to be the ones to ask. It's a little awkward asking while in Phantom Thief attire, but the cognitive receptionist doesn't seem to mind. When asked where the hotels owner is, the receptionist tells them that "Mr Sugimura" is currently residing in the basement of the building. While confused at this, the team takes her word for it and they go to the basement.

As you probably expect, the basement isn't where Sugimura is. Instead, the basement is an empty room with a few shadows in it. When the shadows are defeated, the thieves exit the basement and Hifumi and Makoto return to the reception desk, very annoyed to say the least. The receptionist explains them that it can't be the case, as everyone in the hotel follows a strict policy of always telling the truth. Somehow, with these words, Makoto immediately understands the gimmick of the palace. She explains to the rest of the Phantom Thieves that if they reverse the receptionists words, it means that everyone in the hotel will lie about what they really mean. Basically, if they were to ask for directions to a certain place, the person they ask will say one way, but the real way will be the other. Haru adds that it would make sense, since Sugimura pretty much lies his way through the employees of the company. For that day though, the Phantom Thieves have had enough of the bling of the palace, so they decide to leave.