Persona 5 AU Part 7: Return from Ruin

Despite his vocal opposition to them, Goro Akechi declares that the Phantom Thieves are not the culprits behind Kunikazu Okumura's death, but hints that he knows who is. The Phantom Thieves call Akechi to their school festival as a guest of honour, with the hope of clearing their name, but he reveals to them he has the power to enter the Metaverse and Palaces and knows of it's existence. In addition he reveals he recently gained the power to use his own Persona. He forces them to aid him in his plan to give Sae Niijima a change of heart. 

Accompanied by Akechi and his Persona, Robin Hood, the Phantom Thieves infiltrate Sae's Palace - one inspired by a casino. The Phantom Thieves find and defeat Shadow Sae. Unfortunately, Ren is arrested by real world policemen who inadvertently entered the Palace, but as he's arrested, he learns of a traitor in their midst. News of Ren's arrest circulates throughout Tokyo while he is taken to an underground interrogation room and rigorously questioned and drugged for info. Sae interrogates Ren, bringing the whole story full circle. As the Phantom Thieves leader fights the effects of the drugs and remains silent about the Phantom Thieves, an assassin is sent by the real culprit and it closes in. The assassin is none other than Goro Akechi himself (go figure), who pulls a gun on Joker and kills him. News reports of his death label it as a suicide.

The ruin Igor warned Ren about back in April seems to have finally arrived

The ruin Igor warned Ren about back in April seems to have finally arrived. Except, Plot Twist! Ren didn't die. His "death" was a carefully constructed fake out. The Phantom Thieves learned Akechi was a traitor by bugging his phone, but agreed to his plan, since whoever he worked for could hide a murder. They now need to simultaneously prevent Ren's murder and expose Akechi. The plan was to lure Akechi to the undistorted police station outside Sae's Palace. There, he would kill a fake Ren cognition and think he succeeded. Inside, the police station is indistinguishable from reality, so if someone could be led in, they wouldn't know the difference. By having Sae leave Ren's phone on after the interrogation, Futaba could remotely activate the Meta-Nav and have Akechi kill the fake Ren.

Normally, what would happen here, is that the Phantom Thieves learn that the person pulling the strings behind the curtains is Masayoshi Shido, who used Akechi to kill his political rivals, but in this AU, they don't learn Shido's name yet. However, they do hear something interesting. What they overhear is that Akechi has been instructed by Shido to trigger a mental shutdown in the SIU Director to cover up any remaining crimes. When the Phantom Thieves reconvene at Leblanc and once they're finished explaining the plan to Sae and Sojiro, Futaba and Yuuki explain to everyone this fact. Sae is shocked that the man she was working for this whole time was actually in on the scheme and is upset to say the least. From then on out, the Phantom Thieves come to a decision. If the SIU Director is a rotten adult, just like the other adults they've fought so far, then it's likely he has a palace. Makoto asks Sae if she knows what the SIU Directors full name is and she hesitantly replies that it's Solomon Tokuso. He does in fact have a Palace, so the Phantom Thieves make a plan from there. If they steal the Director's heart before Akechi gets a chance to attack him in the Metaverse, they can potentially save him from a mental shutdown.