Chapter 31

Coley

I'm standing in the open doorway, staring at the most haunting memory of my past.

Sonya.

In the eight years we've been apart, she's matured a lot. Physically, and I'm sure mentally. She's a woman now. She's wearing a pair of leggings and a tank top, so it accentuates all of her curves. My god, she's beautiful.

And her face, I cannot get over how absolutely gorgeous she is.

"Shit, S, you're beautiful," I accidentally say out loud, and I blush in embarrassment. Sonya looks down shyly, her cheeks lighting up as well.

"I'm, um, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say that out loud," I apologize, shoving my hands into my coat pockets.

She looks back up, and I'm again left breathless at her presence. Her hair grew longer, and it seems to be much darker than it was eight years ago.

Hell, I can't believe eight years have passed. And here I am... standing in front of her again. I don't know what to do or say. I already said something stupid.

Sonya still hasn't said anything, and I'm getting even more nervous by the second. Maybe I shouldn't have come, maybe she's regretting texting me.

Suddenly, I feel a thud against my legs. I look down, and I'm greeted by the cutest little puppy ever. It's a Golden Retriever, with the cutest little back nose and eyes.

"Oh my goodness, who are you?" I squeal, bending down, my work bag falling to a thud on the floor. The puppy is jumping all over me, trying to lick my face.

I see Sonya shifting on her feet, and I look up at her. "Her name is Daisy." I can see a slight smile adorning her face, and this makes me heart stop. She always had the most beautiful smile.

I straighten back up, picking my bag up and hitching it back over my shoulder. Daisy is still doing her crazy dance at my feet.

"Um," Sonya begins, not meeting my eyes. "Do you want to come in?"

I smile, even though she won't see it. "I would like that. Thank you." Sonya turns around, and heads back in. I follow her. What the hell was that? That sounded so formal and awkward.

Once I'm through the doorway, I stare at the apartment in awe. It's a gorgeous and modern looking home, making my place look like a shoe box. Sonya closes the door behind us, and stands there, not quite looking me in the eyes. I don't blame her, this is pretty weird.

I can't get over how beautiful she looks. I stay still, just staring at her. I'm probably making her uncomfortable, so I look away, walking further into the apartment, looking around.

"This is such a nice apartment," I compliment, making my way into the kitchen. Sonya follows me, and Daisy comes running at me, and jumps unto my legs.

"No, Daisy, stay down!" Sonya exclaims, smiling. My heart warms at that. I missed her smile so much. It looks so different though. It looks... sad.

The brunette looks up at me. "It is. It's weird to be living in such a big place like this. But I love it."

I nod. We fall silent again. I'm not sure what I expected when I would see Sonya again, but it wasn't this. I mean, I should've known it would have been awkward. It's not like we would be separated for eight years, and then the moment we saw each other again, she'd jump into my arms and things would seemingly go back to the way they were. This isn't some drama story. This is real life. But I guess I've been dreaming of our reunion being a little more... passionate? I mentally grunt.