Chapter 21

So... That was one long wait...

   I gotta say, I've probably been more ambitious about a chapter, but I have never failed so miserably at accomplishing my plans xD

   No, the chapter's alright, but I was planning for it to be MASSIVE...  It didn't work. I was taking too long. But, on the other hand, the word count was fine, so I just split the plot in two, gave this part an appropriate ending and... Here we are...

   They were like animals, caught in a trap. Helpless, with no way out, but the grim, bloody end.

In the dim red glare from Entity 303's eyes, Jesse saw the silhouettes of Radar and Olivia, running around in circles, their screams resembling those of a person, who has just found out they have been buried alive.

The others were out of his sight, submerged in the shadows, the only indicator for their presence being their exclamations of surprise, that quickly faded into screams of horror.

They soon ceased, though, as Entity 303 didn't attack. His eyes hung there in the blank darkness, motionless.

***

Petra kept her stare on the red eyes and cursed her heart for pounding so loudly and her friends for getting so quiet. That noise was the last thing she wanted gone at that moment. She needed anything, that would drown the sound of her footsteps, as she tiptoed towards the wicked monster. Thank Notch, it was still dark.

Entity 303 seemed to fall for it. He showed no signs of having noticed or heard anything...

Unless she was the one, falling for his trick. Her stomach turned at the thought he could just be waiting for her to get in grasping range, then strangle her and scatter her insides around the room, as he probably intended to do with each of them.

The more she let it haunt her mind, the more realistic it seemed.

A stream of sweat went down her forehead and her hand unintentionally moved to where the Wither mark had once been. Years ago, she had nearly lost her life to her recklessness. And now she was running head on towards the same fate.

"Old habits die hard" Petra thought and raised her weapon.

***

The monster was waiting. To speak, or to attack, there was only one way to find out.

Jesse turned his whole body to face Entity 303 and stiffened up, measuring his every move.

- We're not afraid of you. What do you want? - he demanded, his words sounding faint and out of place in the silence.

- Only to be looked at when I speak - replied the familiar voice from somewhere... Behind?!

Before Jesse could react, a blunt pain exploded in his back and he lost his balance, tripped over and fell on the ground.

Holding back her war cry. Petra slashed down at where she thought 303's neck was and the blade passed through his flesh with a satisfying splitch...

Followed by a loud crack, as someone on the other side of 303 crushed his severed head to sticky splinters, which splattered all over Petra's face.

***

Jesse's jaw hit the hard metal floor with a loud click from his teeth and he nearly blacked out from the unexpected collision.

He groaned and made a few attempts to get up, but his limbs felt as stable as molten cheese and gave in under his weight, causing him to collapse over and over again.