Chapter Fifteen: A Safe Return

The news that the children were staying with Toriel was certainly music to the souls' ears, at least in a sense that Toriel's house was better than going to whatever foster care was. However, the past few days had been rather boring to say the least, mostly because the days spent inside were dedicated to doing nothing other than having Toriel teach them how to properly exist in a civilized setting. This included properly dressing up, table manners, bathing, and other things, most of which did not at all interest the children, though some things such as doing hair certainly did.

         Overall, everyone was unsurprisingly bored the day Bertha had returned, and while everyone was rather apprehensive to see the woman who had tried to take them away, they were certainly happy to see just who she'd brought with her.

         "Via!" Within moments, the children had essentially crowded around the poor pre-teen, all of them pulling her inside and overall away from the social worker with her small suitcase in tow.

         "I'm glad you're okay!"

         "Y-You got glasses-!"

         "We missed you!"

         "Are you okay?! Did anyone hurt you?!"

         While Via was definitely glad that she could greet and hug her friends, she knew that returning would mean calming Vera's suspicions; she's always been a mistrusting person after all. "Vera, I'm fine. I promise. Mrs. Ryan took good care of me after I got out of the hospital."

         "Mrs. Ryan? You mean that girl?!" Vera then quickly shot the woman a glare along with Daya, Via then frowning as she held up her hands.

         "Yeah? What's wrong with her? She was very kind to me-"

         "She tried to separate us!" Vera interrupted, Daya then nodding in approval of the young girl's words.

         "Vera's right. The only reason we weren't taken away was because we rebelled."

         "Rebellion?" Flare inquired, almost as if asking if that was necessary at the moment.

         Unsurprisingly, Via was a little overwhelmed by the information. However, she did her best to pacify the children, and thankfully, Toriel was able to help.

         "Children, why don't you show Via her room while Mrs. Ryan and I talk?" Right after suggesting this, Toriel then looked towards the social worker for reassurance, only to receive a nod from the woman signifying it was okay. But the children did not care about what Mrs. Ryan had to say, or at the very least none besides Via cared.

         Within moments, Vera had excitedly yelled, "You gotta see our new room!" before grabbing the girl and pulling her towards the stairs, the nine year old refusing to take no for an answer.

         Once the children had all more or less forced Via to head up the steps and into the girls' bedroom, Toriel then returned to speaking with the social worker, who then let out a small sigh. Whether that was a sigh of relief or a sigh of annoyance was unknown, but that didn't matter. What mattered was what she'd said next.

         "She's yours. You're fostering her now, but only if you sign the required paperwork." It was clear that Bertha wasn't quite happy with this arrangement, yet at the same time, she didn't sound hostile. She sounded more like she was... worried.

         Despite Toriel's calm demeanor, the woman was still rather surprised by Bertha's appearance, and while she was happy to take in the child, she still had her own set of questions. "While I will gladly take the child, I am still confused as to why she has come back here. I thought you had located her parents."