Chapter Twelve

Slowly, but surely... that's how it went. I slowly got used to my new life; my small dorm room, my scratchy uniform, the weird cafeteria food, and my loaded class schedule. I was slow to make friends, as I always tend to be, and mostly stuck to Alicia and Kendra.

But yet, I loved it. I loved my classes, I loved the crisp autumn Maine air, and my newly found independence. Although I still missed my family something fierce. Thankfully, we kept in touch via text and Facetime.

I was super busy, but still hadn't forgotten Calista. I was surprised not to hear from her, and wondered if she was okay. When I finally did receive an email after about six weeks, I was over the moon.

From: Calista Summers

To: Annabelle Jenkins

Subject: Hi

Hi Anna,

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to your last message – it's been a tough few weeks. I'm still trying to deal with my life. I suppose I've been a little scared to tell you my story, but my therapist thought it might be a good idea to share.

College is pretty great. The kids here don't know me but they're all really nice. I met a girl (Morgan) in my elective class. She invited me to eat lunch with her and her friends. Turns out we like the same books, and we both like watching Once Upon a Time.

It was nice to just forget about all my worries and pretend to be a normal girl for one day. I used to be, a long time ago, before my parents' divorce. That's when my troubles started. I was ten when my perfect little world was shattered. Up until then, everything seemed perfect. It was always only my parents and I (I was an only child), and we'd watch movies together, go to the park and McDonalds, even go camping and fishing in the summer (the spot where they found me).

All that came to a halt when my father woke up one day and decided that he was no longer in love with my mother. He was apparently in love with someone else; a young dental hygienist. He moved out and not long after, he introduced me to Samantha. I liked her well enough, but I also hated her. I hated her because it was all her fault. She was the reason my mother couldn't get up in the morning, cried all day, couldn't make dinner, clean up after herself, do laundry, and could only drink herself into a stupor. Samantha was the reason I had to grow up real fast. She'd ruined my life.

But enough about me. I'm probably boring you. I want to hear about those weird boys. :)

Talk soon,

Calista

*

From: Annabelle Jenkins

To: Calista Summers

Subject: Hi

Hi Calista,

Thank you for sharing. I'm so sorry to hear about your parents. I know I'm lucky because my parents are still in love; my mom and my stepdad. But I know what it's like to have to grow up before your time. My mom was very young when she had me, and not long after, she inherited my Grandma's coffee shop. She has too much on her plate, so I've had to help her a lot. I clean, I cook, I do laundry, and I help out at the café. And I also take care of my little sister, Kylie (she's ten -- the same age you were when your parents divorced), and I can't imagine what that would be like for her, if that happened, and she was all alone, without me. I want to cry just thinking about it.

Please don't be afraid to tell me more. You're NOT boring me. I want to know your story.

As far as the boys, and the girls... they're all crazy!!! Lol! I went to a party last month (my first party ever!) and before the party, all the girls stripped off their uniforms, and then they did my hair and makeup. I kinda looked like a movie star, which was interesting because I didn't even know I could be pretty. Ace was there -- he's this cocky Brit who makes me feel all weird, like whenever he looks at me, I'm completely under his spell. And Leo was doing some super freaky stuff with the bonfire, he can move it with his mind! And he's pretty cute, too! ;)