Chapter Thirty-Seven

They introduced us to all the officers Simone had mentioned. We're wasting time, I thought. Apparently, Natalie and Haley were on the cliff, about a fifteen minute hike up the hill.

"The perimeter has been isolated and communications with the HT has been established," Detective Miller was saying. She looked down at her watch. "The negotiators have been pleading with her for over seven hours. There's been no progress so far." Her mobile buzzed and she tapped a few words, and turned her attention to us again. "She's threatening to jump. She's been asking for Mason Henderson, but at this point, the crisis negotiation team are all in agreement that bringing in Mr. Henderson would only agitate her further, and might possibly lead her to do something impulsive. The risk is too high." Her mobile buzzed again. She quickly glanced down. "We've told her that he's flying back from a business trip in Seattle. We've told her that he's on his way. We're stalling, and soon enough, she'll figure this out and run out of patience. We don't have too much time."

"How is Haley?" Simone asked, the question on all our minds.

"She's agitated. She's crying," she said, "but Miss Foster has been taking good care of her as far as we can tell. The negotiating team were able to get close enough to leave supplies; baby food and rice crackers, blankets and a soother, and even diapers."

"It makes no sense," Simone said. "The woman obviously cares for the well-being of the child, yet she's willing to end her life along with hers."

"She's not in her right mind at the moment, Mrs. Adler," Detective Miller explained. "She's in a psychotic state. And fear and exhaustion are compounding that state of extreme psychosis."

"In other words, she's crazy?" Simone asked.

Detective Miller nodded, and tilted her head in another officer's direction. "Here's our communications officer," she said. "He'll give you the drill."

Mr. Watts was a tall bearded man with kind eyes. Following quick introductions, we followed him to a picnic table by the cottage and he got right to it. "Introducing any new negotiator is tricky in these circumstances, and since there are two of you, we'll have to tread very carefully."

The both of us nodded like good dogs at obedience school.

"I'll brief you on the protocol... unfortunately, we don't have any time to waste. The HT has been growing increasingly impatient. She is asking for the victim's father, and although she's unaware of this, he won't be coming."

I wondered why they'd decided to keep Mr. Henderson away, but they were the experts, and I assumed it was for the best. The presence of the object of her obsession could only heighten her emotions and make her crazier. The more I thought about it, the more I understood.

"First off," he continued. "We'll need to approach her cautiously. We'll be introducing your arrival before you even make an appearance. We'll be explaining that you are two young students who work in collaboration with us. We'll be telling her that you wish to speak with her, that you may be of possible help, since you've talked to Mr. Henderson not long ago, and are familiar with him and his family."

My throat was suddenly painfully dry, but thankfully I still had my small bottle of water.

"You will both need to speak in soft voices, and speak only when spoken to. Let her lead the way. Keep eye contact but don't stare, don't make her feel self-conscious. Let her engage you, slowly establish a rapport. You are her friends. Do you both understand?" he asked.

I rubbed my sweaty hands down the folds of my plaid skirt. "Yes," I said.

"Right," Ace said. He seemed much surer of himself than I was. I wondered if Ace Rogers ever felt vulnerable, incapable, if he ever doubted his abilities. Confidence radiated from his pores. And in this case, I was glad for it.