1

Tommy had scheduled a meeting at his house. The whole family walked in together. Tommy was sitting at his desk with money laid out in front of him.

Tommy begins to talk, "Before I begin I want to let you know I made a mistake... and I want to apologise to all of you. Arthur you warned me against getting involved in Russian business, and you were right. I doubted your wife and I'm sorry. Now I've added three thousand in the hope that you'll forgive me."

"Apology accepted," Linda said taking the money.

"Esme, I doubted you, as well," Tommy said.

"Now, John's got innocent lives on his conscience," Esme replied, "ordinary working men."

"Yeah, all right, Esme," John scolded.

"No, she's right," Tommy said, "and you and Arthur are going to have to share that burden. But, I hope the house that you could buy with this can become a place of... contemplation. Perhaps redemption."

Tommy threw some more money on the desk, "Charlie, for lost tools dangerous goods and Curly's wise words. Johnny, for board and lodgings. Lizzie. Michael. For the killings. Five for cutting and five for shooting."

Polly stood up, "no, Tommy."

"What?! Tell me, eh? This is who I am! And this is all I can give you for what you give me. For your hearts and your souls. Yesterday, I nearly lost my son. You should fucking understand that. For what? For what? For this? For this?! And I know that you all want me to say that I'll change, that this fucking business will change. But I've learnt something in the last few days. Those bastards. Those BASTARDS. Are worse than us. Politicians, fucking judges, lords and ladies. They're WORSE than us, and they will never admit us to their palaces, no matter how legitimate we become. Because of who we are. Because of who we fucking are, because of where we're fucking from. Isn't that right, Ada? Our Ada knows. She got smart about revolution. And she knows you have to get what you want your own way. Lizzie, I want it known, that money was for you because, some nights, it was you... who stopped my heart from breaking. No-one else. And the rest of you, you took the King's shilling. You took the King's fucking shilling. When you take the King's shilling, the King expects you to kill. Right, Arthur? Yeah. That's how it works, right, John? That's right. That's right, Pol. That's fucking right."

"Tommy. You've had a bad time. We understand. So, at an alternative time. When we have all recovered. I would like to put before the family an alternative view of the future of the Shelby Company Limited. A more hopeful view," Polly told everyone.

"Come on, Arthur. The train for the dock leaves in one hour," Linda said standing up, "then we'll get the boat to New York and it'll all be in the past."

"I'll be off, then, Tom," Arthur said whilst nodding at everyone, "I'll see you, eh? I'll see you, brother."

"You can go, but you won't get far, Arthur," Tommy said.

"Ah All right, Tom."

"I spoke to Moss last night. He told me that the Chief Constable of Birmingham has issued a warrant for your arrest. Murder, sedition, conspiracy to cause explosion. John, they're coming for you, as well. Murder. Conspiracy to cause explosion," Tommy listed. "Michael the murder of Hughes." Polly, the murder of Chief Inspector Chester Campbell.

Everyone began to shout and complain.

"The people we betrayed last night want to bring us down They control the police, they control the judges, they control the juries, they control the jails. But they do not control the elected Government. Listen to me! Listen to me So, I've made a deal. In return for giving evidence against them."

"They'll hang us! We'll fucking hang!"

"It's all taken care of. Lizzie, collect up the money and bring it to the cellar. You will all get your money in due course. When the police get in, do not resist. You go with them, you do not say anything. Arthur! Arthur, I've made a deal with people even more powerful than our enemies. Trust me, Brother."

Victoria still sat there in her chair, she hadn't said a word. Everyone leaves the room angrily as they are greeted by the police, Tommy remains at his desk. Victoria stands up and the two make eye contact. It's silent between them for a few moments, just the muffled shouting coming from outside.

"How could you do this Tommy?" Victoria finally says.

'I told you, this is who I am," he replies.

Victoria turns and walks out of the room, prepared for the arrest. A police man grabs her and puts her hands in cuffs. Tommy emerges as the family are dragged out by the men. Victoria makes brief eye contact with him, her eyes showing how hurt she was.