Engaged

"I'm going to be late," Victoria said getting out of bed.

"Can't you stay for a bit longer?" Her boyfriend, Stephen, asked. She had been dating him for almost a year but she hadn't officially told anyone yet.

"Tommy will kill me if I'm late for another meeting," she said whilst getting dressed.

"What do you even do at these meetings anyway?"

"Business, family business," she replied whilst putting her necklace on and fixing her hair in the mirror. Her necklace was a locket that belonged to her mother, it was the only thing the family had from her and Victoria wore it everyday. Inside the locket was a picture of her childhood sweethearts Paul who died during the war.

"I love you Victoria Shelby," her boyfriend told her.

"Mmm, I don't know why."

"Marry me," he asked her.

Victoria didn't look away from the mirror, she had never been asked such a serious question before. She looked down at the silver necklace before saying anything.

"I better go, I'm so late," she said whilst grabbing her coat and running down the stairs.

"Wait Victoria!" Her boyfriend called, but she didn't turn back.

*

It had been a long day and Victoria finally returned home. She had forgotten about this mornings events until she saw her boyfriend sitting on the armchair in front of the fire.

"How was your day?" He asked her as she sat down on the sofa letting out a sigh.

"It was alright, just the usual."

"Listen, about this morning..."

"Yes," she said before he could say anymore.

"What? Really?"

"Ask me again," she nodded.

They both stood up, Stephen getting down on one knee.

"Victoria Shelby will you marry me?"

"Yes!" She said as they kissed.

*

A few days went by and Victoria still hadn't told anyone she was engaged. She didn't know how and was unsure if her brothers would approve. They had met Stephen before but she didn't think they would expect them to marry.

"I've got to go to another meeting now," Victoria said as she looked at the clock.

"We should tell your family about us," Stephen suggested.

"Mmm, I'll do it myself, you know what they're like.

"Alright but make sure and do it today."

*

After the meeting everyone left apart from Tommy who remained at his desk. Victoria got up from her chair and stood it front of him. She thought it was best to tell him first as he was probably the hardest to convince.

"Tommy," she spoke but he interrupted her before she could say anymore.

"Right Victoria I've got a job for you. You need to go to this place here," he said pointing at an address on a piece of paper, "his name is Mr Hanson and you need to get any information you can on the races at Epsom on Saturday."

"I can't do that Tommy. I can't sleep with anyone else," she stated.

"Why?" He asked confused.

"That's what I wanted to tell you."

"You're pregnant huh? Is that what it is?"

"No!" She scoffed. "I'm engaged."

"Engaged? Too who?"

"You know who, Stephen."

"Well then, congratulations Victoria."

Victoria smiled; her brothers approval meant a lot to her.

_________________________

Hi everyone. Sorry I haven't updated it a while. I have a lot of half finished drafts coming soon. Thank you for your patience and support 🙏 ❤️

Another reminder that chapters aren't in any order, they're just scenarios 😊