Meeting Michael

Victoria stumbled into the betting den, she was searching around for alcohol.

"Where's all the drink?" she asked. She turned around to see Polly, Tommy, Arthur, John and a boy she hadn't seen before.

"Haven't you had enough already?" Polly asked her sternly.

"Na, I'm fine for a while yet."

"Victoria this is your cousin Michael," Tommy told her.

"Oh hello," she said as she came closer. She made quick eye contact and then turned back to Tommy, "have you got any money?" she asked him. He reluctantly gave her some whilst sighing.

"So is he staying here then?" she asked Polly.

"Yes, I'm putting him in your room,"she says joking, but Victoria doesn't realise.

"No, that's my room."

"You're never even here most of the time."

"I am always here between the hours of 1 and 11am. It's better to be outside, in the real world."

"Yes maybe but you're not in the real world, you're drinking all day and waking up in a strangers bed."

"That's not true, you're giving me a bad impression in front of Michael."

"Well anyway let's all have dinner together tonight," Polly told them all.

The boys nodded. "What time?" Arthur asked.

"Lets say 7."

"I'll be there," Victoria said.

"You better be and you better not be high either," Polly scolded her.

*

Victoria arrived at 7:15 and sat at the end of the table opposite where Polly was.

"You're late," Polly told her.

"I told you I'd be here, I never promised 7. Anyway Tommy's not even here yet."

"He's not coming," Arthur told her.

"Why's it okay for him not to come but I'm forced to be here?" Victoria quizzed.

"Because he had business and you're never here," Polly said sternly.

"Where's the wine?" Victoria asked looking at the glasses of water.

"Yeah Pol where's the wine?" John also asked.

"I don't have any, plus it's nicer for you all to be sober in front of your cousin."

"Bit boring Pol," Victoria said as she started eating, she could barely sit still.

"Are you high?" Finn asked her.

"Probably," she chuckled.

"For fuck sake Victoria, can't you just be nice and normal for once!" Polly said slamming her fist on the table.

"Sorry but this is just who I am. This is the way I've always been since I was 16 and I'm not changing now just because you want me to make a better impression on people. If people don't like me for the way I act then that's their problem, not mine."

"It's fine, really," Michael said to Polly.

"No it's not!" Polly said standing up, "just get out Victoria, just go, go to Tommy, go back and be his favourite little worker."

Victoria looked at everyone and saw that the had put their heads down and had nothing to say. Victoria pushed her chair back and stormed out, slamming the door.

"Bit harsh Pol," Arthur said.

"Shut up," she replied.