3

John was dead. His body lay on the table covered in blood. Arthur sat on the step at the door whilst Victoria stood beside John staring at his lifeless body. A few moments later Tommy arrived.

"Is it him?" he asked.

"Yeah," Arthur replied heartbroken.

"On his own doorstep. His own fucking doorstep," Victoria said looking up at Tommy.

"Poor John. Fucking John," said Arthur.

"In the bleak midwinter," Victoria said looking at his body.

"I can't look at him," Arthur told them.

"Come here, brother. Come here. Come on, come here," Tommy said taking him over.

"Oh, man."

"Now, say it. Say it brother"

"In the bleak midwinter," he finally spoke.

Esme came rushing in, "You're cursed, and I curse you again! And again! And again!"

"Esme no! Come on. Come here. Come on." Tommy said trying to console her.

"Leave me with him. You've spoken to him. Now it's my turn. No peace for any of you ever. Our stuff will stay with me. I'm taking the children on the road, to live with decent people. They'll never know the cursed side of this family. We're done with them, John," Esme told them.

Victoria walked out, she didn't want Esme to take the children but she knew there was no point in arguing.

*

It was finally time for the family meeting. Some sat at the table and the rest stood behind.

"John is dead. Esme has gone on the road with the Lees. She's taken the kids. Michael is badly wounded. They say it's 60-40 in his favour," Tommy announced to everyone.

"There's no number, there's no percentages. There's only the hand. The hand beneath him stops him falling. I spoke to someone. My son'll live," said Polly.

"Michael and John were shot because we killed someone. Vicente Changretta. His son, Luca, has come to take revenge. Men from New York and Sicily here in Birmingham. These men will not leave our city until our whole family is dead. That's how it works - an eye for an eye. It's called vendetta," Tommy explained.

"The bullet's been written. It says 'LUCA'. When the time comes. And it will come . He, as the oldest brother I will put this bullet into his fucking head," Arthur proudly said.

"There's been some bad blood between us," Tommy said as Polly scoffed, "Until this business is settled, we stay together. And we stay here. Small Heath, Bordesley, Hay Mills, down to Greet. We know every face and every man is a soldier in this army. These men are professionals, they're good at what they do, so we're going to need more than we have. I've sent a message to Aberama Gold. Here today, in this room, we have to agree to end this war between us. Take a vote."

"Peace," said Victoria, she was glad everyone could be together again.

A few others also say peace.

"Peace," says Finn who was standing behind Arthur.

"Shut up, Finn," said Arthur.

"Why can't I say 'peace'?" asked Finn.

"Arthur, let him have his say. Finn, sit at the table," Tommy told them.

Finn sat down and Arthur ruffled his hair proudly.

"My son's not here to speak so I'll speak on behalf of us both. Truce," said Polly.

"Five for peace, two for truce, one abstention. Let's get on with the war," Tommy said walking out.