Chapter 2: Accident - Axton

I walked down the street from school, eventually reaching the restaurant my mom worked at.

Currently, she was employed as a waitress. She had been fired many times, so now she worked here at 'Crawdad's River Cantina.' My dad worked here too, and he was a host.

Neither of them ended up going to college, and when they graduated I was about two. Apparently, I had a thing for causing trouble even as a toddler. I lived with my grandparents, since Mom and Dad were still under their roof, and when they graduated, my grandparents didn't want to raise me anymore. I would break stuff, hide stuff, stain stuff, ruin stuff. I basically just made a shit show for them.

So, my parents immediately started in debt and began to have financial problems once they brought a tiny house that they still live in. My mom wanted to go to art school, but since she had me, she couldn't.

My mom set a plate down at a table for two, one of whom wasn't served. She walked over to me and smiled.

"Hi, Ax," she greeted, kissing my head of hair. "When was the last time you took a shower?"

"Last night!" I defended, to which she raised an eyebrow. "Used shampoo, that's different."

"Axton Damon Burton!"

I laughed, shaking my head.

"I'm only joking, Mom."

"You better be!"

I rolled my eyes, feeling a pair of strong arms wrap around me, knowing it was my dad.

"How was school, little man?" My dad asked me, kissing the top of my head.

"It was school."

"Fair enough," he admitted.

"Poor Jem Jem got into trouble," I said, using the nickname I gave Jeremy when I was about five and we met.

"How so?" Mom asked as she straightened her ponytail.

"We sat on the roof - Ced, Scottie, Jem and I - and his mom saw." Dad nodded, pursing his lips. "And a new girl named Nic."

"Oh, Nic, huh? She sounds..." Mom didn't finish, thinking of the right words.

"She sounds like you kids," Dad finished for her.

"Her real name is Elizabeth-Nicole. She's got a total of six names and she's a drummer."

"A drummer, eh? That's fun." Mom said as she cleaned out a mug with a rag, walking off to clean an empty table, my dad walking away with a smile.

I sat down at a table for one in the corner, where I usually sat and looked at my homework. Shrugging, I put it away, assuming I'd do it the minute it was due.

"Axton Damon," Mom said as she walked over to me.

"I know, I know," I laughed.

"We don't want you to end up like us," Mom raised an eyebrow, eventually walking away.

I knew she wasn't down on herself, but I also knew what she meant. She just didn't want me to end up so unsuccessful. She was a teenage mom with no college degree. I know she just wanted the best for me, and I was a pretty shitty kid, for what it's worth.

---

"Anything else happen that we aren't aware of?" Mom asked as she and Dad got home, closing the door behind them. I guess they noticed me sitting at the kitchen table and my CD of Mötley Crüe in.

"Ew, what is this?" Mom asked as she gave me a disgusted look.

"How dare you insult Mötley-"

"Crüe!" Dad finished, letting me know he was on my side.