Chapter 29: HELP - Leslie

July 23rd, 1987.

I laid in Jeremy's bed, groaning painfully.

I had gone through with even more chemo, and I was still throwing up.

I had decided to sleep in Jeremy's room ever since he left, just because it made me feel better.

"Hey, sweetie," Cherry whispered as she walked in. "How are you feeling?"

"Like shit," I sighed.

"Oh, don't say that," she sighed. "Do you have to go through another session tomorrow?"

"Yeah. Mom wanted me to ask if you could take. Dad is busy and so is she."

"Yeah, of course, sweetie. Anything for you."

"Thanks," I sighed.

She paused briefly, before opening her mouth to speak. "I had a thought. Alright?"

I nodded.

"What if you lived with me. How does that sound?"

I sat up. "What?"

"Yeah. What if you lived with me?"

"I... I was going to live with Jeremy once he came back."

She rolled her eyes. "Jeremy will have at least three different girls over every week. Either way, it's healthy that the two of us maintain a good sister relationship. We could have sleepovers, watch TV, talk about boys."

Elayna crossed my mind at that moment, a small reminder that Jeremy was the only person who knows my secret.

"How does that sound?"

"I don't... I don't know."

"It's alright if you say no. Just... think about it. Please. Jeremy won't be home a lot, but my work is really closet to where I live. I could take you to school, do a photoshoot, pick you up and we'd spend time together. Huh?"

"I just... I'll just miss Jeremy too much."

She rubbed the tip of my hair, frowning a bit. "He just wants you to be happy, Leslie. He just wants you to be undeniably happy, that's all."

"Happiness isn't much of an option right now," I sighed, staring down at the sheets.

Clumps of my hair had begun to fall out. I completely lost my eyebrows and eyelashes, and I was officially left with bald spots on my bed. Not only that, but it pained my scalp.

She removed her newly painted nails from my hair, bringing a clump of hair with her.

She gasped. "I'm sorry-!"

"Don't worry, it happens all the time," I sighed. "I'm used to it. I have to be."

She sat next to me, letting me lay my head on her shoulder.

"Are you ready for chemo tomorrow?"

"No. But... I have to do it."

"Does it hurt?"

"In its ways. I don't like needles all too well. It's happened before and I can do it again."

"Well... is it working?"

I paused. "I don't know..."

---

July 24th, 1987.

"How are you feeling, Leslie?" Nurse Sabrina asked as she snapped on blue rubber gloves.

"Nervous, I guess."