Chapter 24: All Hail The Queen - Cedric

June 2nd, 1987.

"We're set for two weeks, kids," Jefferson said in the meeting room.

"Terrific," I sighed.

"Well, kids... I don't know what to say. You guys have been a pleasure to work with, I'll say."

"We couldn't have done it without you, Bob," I said.

"That's true," he laughed. "I just want you kids to know how much I appreciate you. You're the best kids I could've ever worked with. I've worked with lots of bands and solo artist, but no one will have our me through what you have put me through. You children are insane. And honestly... I've loved every minute of it."

"We love you too," Nic joked.

We all laughed, including Jefferson.

"You know, sooner or later I'll have to retire. I've got to take care of my kids and watch them grow up too."

Axton's eyes traveled to the ground, knowing that in just a few years, he'd be doing the same.

"You're not leaving us, are you?" Jeremy asked worriedly.

"No, no, not anytime soon," Jefferson said. "But someday I'll retire and you'll be... with someone else, I guess."

"Or we could take it over," Ax offered. "Just... a thought..."

"Axton, you've got a lot on your plate to handle managing bands," Jefferson reminded him. "I've gone through fatherhood. Hell, I still am. It takes a lot to juggle a family and a bunch of artists, especially when you're so young."

Ax looked down again.

"Axton, you'll be a great father. If she trusts you, that's all that you need."

Ax just nodded a bit. "I just don't want to lose this."

Jefferson nodded understandingly.

"Kids... is this what you really want to do?"

"What do you mean?" Scott asked.

"Nic is about to turn eighteen. Basically... was this just a fun phase or do you all really want to be Rockstars? You guys are insanely successful, but... you're all so young. It gets different when you get older. You'll want a family and you'll want to, you know... well, you might wish you weren't famous."

"Well, I'll just state that I don't want a family," Scott added. "I don't know about the rest of them."

"Well, for example, Ax has already started. I'm just saying that as time passes... you may consider taking a large break. Even with that said, you guys might break up, kick someone out, and things such as. Lots of Rockstars develop addictions to drugs and alcohol and they die from it. Obviously, I don't want that to happen to any of you."

"Name one," Ax requested.

"Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, John Bonham," Jefferson sighed.

"Well, they all start with 'J' and are just cursed. So, Jeremy... sorry, bud," Ax said.

Jeremy just raised his eyebrows in defense. "There are others too, I'm sure!"

"Like who?" Ax argued.

"Robert Johnson, Brian Jones," Jefferson revealed.

"Again, they all have 'J.' I'm just saying, it's a curse!"

"Have you ever heard of the '27 Club?'" Jefferson asked us.

"I don't think so," I said.

"It's a term used for those who died at the age of 27 from drugs and alcohol. It's not just people with a certain letter in their name, Axton. It's like a cursed age or something. John Bonham was older than 27, but, of course, the rest I named was 27. It's unfortunate. And you know what's even more unfortunate?"