Chapter 34: Drug Company - Scott

November 20th, 1987

I overdosed two days ago and was released from the hospital.

Heroin and cocaine, they said.

It didn't matter what it was, just as long as I got it.

I didn't plan for this to happen.

But it did.

Everyone else had smoked weed with me, and they thought they were fine.

They all tried coke several times, but they didn't like it.

And because I did, they said I had a problem.

I was only seventeen and they said I was addicted.

It hadn't even been a year since I first started.

I was fine.

In the bathroom I was, throwing up the remainder of earlier drugs.

I was with a groupie today. She had some coke with her, and let me snort it off her body.

She left about an hour ago, and I felt sick as hell.

But I needed it to be energetic for tonight.

My body was usually able to handle it, but she kept giving me pills and I didn't know what was in it.

But I needed it.

I needed a friend.

Sure, the band was with me, but they didn't help me. They just told me I had a problem, when it was clear I didn't.

I grabbed the powdered PCP and mixed it with the cocaine.

I was in pain now, my nose bleeding as I panted heavily.

I was losing weight, and it was obvious.

My mind was altered, but...

I needed these things.

I needed to be able to perform better and play better.

And they helped.

They helped more than my band ever did.

---

I walked down the street, my hood up. I put my hair in a ponytail and hid it as best as possible so no one could recognize me.

I'd looked pretty best up due to some of the drugs, but I fixed it myself and even shaved my facial hair to cover myself.

I walked down the street with mt head down and walked towards the back alleyway.

It was shady no doubt, but I knew what I was up to.

I found a group of guys back there, each of them going through whatever.

Skinny and beefcakes, Black and White, tall and short. They were all different. But each of them were like me in some way.

"I need more," I told the dealer. "I need a batch for the next few days too. I'm moving cities and... I need to get hooked up with someone who regularly goes to the East coast."

The dealer reached into his pocket, searching for my go-to.

"Snow, right?" he asked. I nodded. He handed me a few packages, but I shook my head. "No, no, I need it to last about a week. I need at least ten."

"Ten? You're pretty demanding."

"I need it," I insisted. "I need it now."

"Look, buddy, I don't have any right now. But... I can offer you some uh, oh, what's it called... Dice?"