Mourning

Kenai and I went up and found the basket... in ruins. Kenai grew frustrated and kicked some of the remains of the basket. Denahi was so not going to be happy about this. I went over to him and put my hand on his shoulder and said, "It's okay, Kenai. I can deal with Denahi. It'll be just fine." Kenai nodded, but was still infuriated. We turned to leave, but we heard a grunt. The grunt of a bear. I froze. Terrified of what was behind us. Of course, Kenai being Kenai threw a rock at the bear and it hit it.

        "Kenai, no please. Let's get out here." I whispered, clutching on to him, terrified. It was too late though. The bear was charging and I screamed. Kenai grabbed my arm and pushed me ahead of him yelling, "Run, Tehya!" I started running ahead of Kenai, then stopped when I heard him scream. I turned behind me and saw the bear push Kenai off the cliff.

        "KENAI! NO!" I shouted, then screamed and started running again when the bear turned towards me. I slipped and fell down near a tree. I looked behind me as the charging bear was closing in. It was too late. I knew that I wasn't going to outrun the bear. I crawled towards the tree and clutched onto it for dear life. I closed my eyes and waited for the impact, but it never came.

        "Get away from her!" I heard a familiar voice shout. I opened my eyes and saw Denahi fending off the bear. Sitka ran to my side and I embraced him crying, then stopped and said, "Sitka, Kenai. The bear pushed him off the cliff." I pointed to the direction where he fell. Sitka ran towards the edge and shouted, "Kenai!" He reached down. Kenai's alive then. A wave of relief washed over me. Then, I noticed the bear knock Denahi towards the side and go for Sitka and Kenai.

        "Sitka, Kenai! Look out! The bear!" I yelled. The bear stood on it's hind legs ready to strike Sitka down. I ran as hard as I could towards them and slammed into the bear. I heard Sitka shout my name and saw out of the corner of my eye that Kenai and him were safe. I began running as the bear now had it's attention on me again, but I saw Denahi throwing rocks at it, which diverted it's attention towards him. Denahi backed up and lead the bear towards the glacier. Sitka, Kenai, and I ran towards Denahi. The bear smacked Denahi, which sent him flying. When he landed, he broke through the ice.

        Kenai and I shouted Denahi's name and ran towards him. Kenai was able to grab him just in time. We struggled to get him up and I noticed out of the corner of my that the bear had knocked Sitka down and was coming for us. I grabbed a rock ready to fend the bear off, but... something else happened. Something I'll never forget. A loud crack came and I saw Sitka with his spear in the glacier. Exhaustion was written across his face and he stared into my eyes and saw determination and sorrow.

        "Sitka..." I whispered with tears welling up in my eyes. He closed his eyes and much of the glacier broke beneath him all the way towards the bear into the waters below. I screamed his name and towards the edge of the cliff. We looked at the waters below and saw the bear protrude out of the water, but there was no Sitka. We ran towards the lake below and started searching for him.

        "Kenai! Tehya!" Denahi shouted and pointed towards Sitka's headdress. Kenai picked it up, then threw it to the side and continued to shout his name. After he threw it to the side, I picked it up and Denahi came up beside me.

        "No, no, no. Sitka can't be gone. He can't be. He can't be. No, no, no, no." I began sobbing uncontrollably and Denahi embraced me. I listened as Kenai told us to help him continue to find Sitka. Sitka was my role model. I used to think that nothing would be able to kill him. He couldn't be gone. He had so much to live for. So much life left to live. He was taken too soon. Too soon. We still needed him. I still needed him.