Searching

When I woke up the next day, I saw that I was in my fort. What was I doing here? Then, everything came rushing back to me. I had to help Kenai. He needed me. I was about to set off, but then I remembered another very important detail. I was transformed into an animal. I hesitated for a moment. I was afraid to see what animal I was. Come on, Tehya. Be brave. Sitka and Kenai are counting on you. I slowly looked down and gasped. I had paws. PAWS! Bear paws. I had to keep myself from panicking.

        In the distance, I could here people calling my name. The village had sent a search party for me. I couldn't let see me like this. I ran as far away from them as I could and I soon found the stream. How am I going to find Kenai. He could be anywhere. When I walked up the the stream, I saw two squirrels and they were bickering to each other. I had to hold back my scream as I recalled that I was an animal and that was why I could hear them.

        "This day has been the worst! First you lied to me about those acorns in your mouth, than that stupid bear showed up and nearly killed us!" The squirrel shouted. A bear? I walked over towards them. My footsteps were silent and when I reached them, I asked, "Don't freak out. I'm not here to hurt you, but could you tell me where the bear went?" The squirrels looked at me in horror.

        "A bear?! How could this day get any worse? Run, Chip! Run!" The squirrel yelled. They were about to bolt away, but I was aware of my surroundings. I jumped in front of them and back them against a large boulder. I knew that they would probably just crawl right up the boulder, but I really needed them to tell me where this bear is. It could be Kenai. At least, I hoped that it would be Kenai.

        "Please. Just tell me where the bear is. That's all I want to know." I begged.

        "Wait a moment. You're just a bear cub. Please don't call for your mama." Chip pleaded. I paused for a moment because that struck a nerve. My mother. It was so long ago that I barely remember what they look like. I closed my eyes trying to keep it together and took a deep breath.

        "My parents are dead and I got separated from my older brother. That was probably who you came across. Please. Tell me where the other bear is." I begged.

        "That way. If you run, you might be able to catch him. Good luck." Dale said and he and Chip took off.  I turned around dashed in the direction Chip and Dale told me where the bear is and, soon enough, I found a bear caught in one of the traps Denahi and I had set up three weeks ago. The bear noticed me and screamed, "Ah! Please don't hurt me!" That voice sounded familiar.

        "Kenai? Is it really you?" I questioned. Kenai looked at me as if he was trying to recognize me and quickly added, "It's your favorite sister in the world." Kenai's eyes widened in realization and stated, "First of all, you're my only sister and second of all, why are you here?"

        "Wow. If I'm going to be treated like that, then I'm just going to go back home and ask Sitka to change me back." I retorted.

        "No, please don''t go. I need someone with some actual sense right now. Seriously, though, how are you here? And you're a bear!" Kenai questioned.

        "Sitka sent me to help you and before you ask, no, I don't know actually know what I'm supposed to be helping you with. He said that this journey we'll be taking will be beneficial for the both of us. I was hoping that you would somehow know. Also, how did you end up here?" I wondered.

        "Well, when I left you and Denahi, I went after the bear on my own. I was able to track it down. I actually managed to kill the bear that killed our brother. Then, the spirits appeared and I saw Sitka. I was lifted into the sky and when I came back down, I saw Denahi, then I toppled and fell into the river below. That's how I ended up here. When I woke up, Tanana was beside me and told me that I was transformed into a bear by Sitka and in order to transform back, I would have to go to where the lights touch the earth." Kenai explained.

        "You were actually able to kill the bear?" I exclaimed.

        "Yes, now Tanana says I have to right this wrong that I did. I don't know what I did wrong." Kenai said.

        "We'll figure that out later, but, right now, we have to get you out of that tree." I said. I was about to go over and remove the stake planted into the ground, but Kenai said, "No, no. I got myself into this mess. I can get myself out." I rolled my eyes. Why does he have to be so stubborn at times. I sat a few feet away and watched with a bored expression as Kenai attempted to go for the stick in front of him, which was next to me. I suddenly got the feeling that we were being watched.

        Suddenly, I jumped when I heard a voice ask from the bushes behind me, "Psst. Is the coast clear?"

        "What?" Kenai questioned.

        "Are there any hunters around?" The voice asked.

        "Uh no." I answered.

        "Oh good!" Suddenly a bear cub popped out of the bushes scaring Kenai and I nearly half to death, "How you doing? Guess you didn't see the trap, huh. I saw it from a mile away. You must be pretty embarrassed, but don't worry. I won't tell anyone" Kenai and I were confused but the bear cub kept talking, "You need to get down. I'm not sure why your friend isn't helping, but I'll help you down." The bear cub proceeded to wack Kenai and I just watched with amusement.

        "Stop it!" Kenai shouted.

        "It's no good. The only way to get down is to chew your own foot off." The bear cub said.

        "Or-" But, Kenai interrupted me, "I don't need some stupid bear's help. I just need the stick." The bear cub was going to give it to him, but Kenai said, "No, no. I can do it myself. Put it back. Where you found it! To the left by the little rock."

        "Here?" The cub questioned.

        "Yes." Kenai said.

        "Now you see why I was not helping him." I said.

        "No kidding. That tree is strong. When I was little, I was climbing all kinds of trees. Pine trees, oak trees, cedar trees, birch trees-" The cub rambled on and on and I could tell that this was going to take a while.