New Beginnings

Two Years Later

        i couldn't believe it. As I walked through the line of people that parted for, I saw Denahi and Kenai towards the end of it. I am finally going to place my hand next to my ancestors. Kenai and Denahi had bright smiles on their faces and behind me I knew that Koda, Nita, Aiyana, and Tayen. We have had two new additions join the family over the past two years. Istas and Denahi were now married and Nita and Kenai had another kid, a boy, who they named Hakan.

        Kenai and Denahi grabbed my hand and dipped it into the paint. They placed my hand next to Sitka's mark. Tears welled in my eyes and embraced the both of them. I am now a woman. No longer a child, but I knew that my brothers will always consider me their baby sister. No matter what the others say.

        I proved that I now understood what my totem meant when one of the members of the tribe had broken their leg. While the others panicked, I took charge of the situation guided the people on what to do because when you have three well, technically four brothers with Koda, who tend to be rather reckless at times. One needed to know on how to probably deal with a broken bone. Being a leader is not always about leading necessarily, it just means to know where you're needed in the moment.

        After the ceremony, there was a celebration, then afterwards, Kenai, Denahi, and I went to the lake by ourselves. It had been many years since the three of us went to the lake. We sat next to a boulder and watched as the sun went down. Once the sun set, Denahi, Kenai, and I went up to the lake and Denahi said, "Well, Mom, Dad, Sitka, we're all grown up and two of us are married."

        "Hopefully, it'll stay that way." Kenai muttered.

        "Hey!" I exclaimed and punched Kenai.

        "Let's just say that your future spouse will have to go through many trials before we finally say whether or not we approve of them or not." Denahi said.

        "How many have tried to get your approval?" I questioned.

        "Three. Two of them came up to me during the ceremony, but I turned them down because I want my baby sister to marry for love." Denahi said. I chuckled, but was surprised that three guys have already tried to ask for Denahi's permission to court me. Did I have anyone in mind? Well, yes. But, I hope to keep it a secret for a while longer.

        "Is there anyone that we should keep an eye on?" Kenai questioned. I remained silent, but my cheeks turned bright red.

        Denahi gasped, "She does! Spill it." I continued to remain silent. Then, Denahi announced, "If you don't tell us in five seconds, I will mess up your bangs."

        "You wouldn't." I growled.

        Denahi started to count down, "Five"

        "Denahi..." I warned.

        "Four..."

        "We are adults, Denahi." I protested backing up. '

        "Three.." Denahi said lifting up his hand. I began to run away from the two and Denahi shouted quickly, "Two. One! Kenai, let's get her!" I had a head start. I was about to flee into the woods, but Denahi popped out from them and I screamed falling to the ground. Kenai came up behind me and pinned me to the ground.

        "Now, tell us, dear sister." Kenai said.

        "Nope." I stated.

        "The hard way it is." Denahi said and began to mess up not just my bangs but my hair as well and Kenai started to tickle me. Honestly, those two get on my nerves. After about a minute. I shouted, "Okay. Okay. I'll tell you." They stopped and Denahi said, "Well, we're waiting."