Directions

When we were done talking, I climbed back down to Koda and gently shook him awake. He said, "Two more months, Mom." He rubbed his eyes and slowly awoke and I asked, "So, where are we?" He looked around as if he was confused. That wasn't a good sign. I know that look from anywhere. I've displayed it multiple times in the past.

        "Well, which way?" Kenai questioned.

        "Um. I think it's that way." Koda said. Oh no. We're lost.

        "You think, or you know?" Kenai wondered. To further prove my point that we were lost, Koda pointed to a random direction and said that way. Kenai grumbled, "Why wasn't I turned into a homing pigeon? Come on, you two!" He jumped off the bear. I wasn't really liking where this was going. I followed after Kenai making sure that he wouldn't do anything stupid.

        "Hey! Riding mammoths was you're idea." Koda defended. He turned to the mammoths and said, "Thanks for the ride, guys. see you. Lucky for you, I've been lost way worst than this. Last summer, I was with Bucky..."

        "Enough with the stories! I don't care about the time you and Binky found the world's biggest pine-cone ever." Kenai said. This really isn't going to out well. While I have gotten into many arguments with my brothers in the past, Sitka was usually the mediator, but when they argued against each other, I was the mediator. I would listen to both sides of the argument, butter them up and try to make them see sense, then convince them to talk to each other. There have been a couple times in which that didn't work and I had to use.... the tears. Only in desperate situations would I use that as a last result to try and manipulate them to finally see sense.

        "First of all, his name's Bucky, not Binky. Second, it wasn't a pine cone, it was a pine nut. And it was huge, even bigger than your fat head. I'm sorry we're lost. Even though, it's your fault." Koda grumbled under his breath.

        "My fault?! That's it." Kenai growled storming out. I probably should've stepped in, but I kind of wanted to see how this would play out as well, plus sometimes it's better to just let people to hash it out, then mediate. To let them get all that anger out. This just seems like that type of situation.

        "Just remember, if it weren't for me, you'd still be hanging upside down." Koda said.

        "First off, I would've let Tehya get me down from the tree eventually. Second of all, it would be better than being stuck nowhere with you and your blabbering mouth. I'm lost. I can't find my mommy. Will you take me to the salmon run? Why don't you just grow up?" Kenai questioned.

        "Fine. I'll just go on my own then." Koda stated.

        "Fine. Go ahead." Kenai said. 

        "Fine" Koda said. They repeated that a couple times, then Kenai growled, "Come on, Tehya." He stormed off and I ran to catch up with him while keeping an eye on which direction Koda went. I saw him take a deep breath and I took this as my shot. I began, "Kenai-" Then, I was interrupted by him, "I know. I know. I'll talk to him." I gave him my nod of approval and we went to go find Koda.

        "Koda? Koda." Kenai shouted. I looked around and nudged Kenai. Koda was going towards a cave filled with pictographs filled with animals. Kenai, Koda, and I were in awe of it. While Koda went to observe more of it, Kenai and I looked at the hand prints of the people who lived here. Kenai put his paw over one. Then, we noticed that pictographs of the animals were spiraling all the way towards the roof. Then, we noticed something another painting. We walked closer towards it and saw that it was a painting of a bear fighting a man. I noticed Koda come up and hide behind us.

        "Those monsters are really scary. Especially with those sticks." Koda said. Kenai and I looked at each other. He thinks that we're the monsters and here Kenai and I are thinking that bears are the monsters. We looked back at the picture, then Kenai said, "Come on. Let's go." We left the abandoned village and walked on for a while. Kenai allowed Koda to climb on his back and he carried him.

        "So, you recognized anything yet? Or maybe you can't see past my fat head." We all laughed and Kenai said, "So, do you really think that I have a fat head?"

        "Well, if you hunched your shoulders a little it wouldn't seem so big." Koda said. Oh. He doesn't realize what he just got himself into.

        "Oh. You mean like this? Or like this? How about this?" Kenai questioned hunching both of his shoulders. Koda and Kenai laughed. I'm just glad that they're finally bonding. Then, we heard some noise and saw two mountain goats ahead.

        "Hey! Maybe they can give us directions." I suggested. We walked over to the two mountain goats who were trying to impress a female goat by ramming their heads together and they were both arguing about which one the lady liked better.

        "Uh. Hey? Excuse me?" Kenai questioned.

        "What do you want?" One of the goats yelled. The sound echoed off the mountain. The goat was confused and asked, "What? What was that?"

        "Uh... Just a minute, bear. Hey, shut up! No, you shut up!" Whatever they said just kept echoing back to them and they actually thought it was someone responding. They kept yelling the same phrase over and over again.

        "I think their horns are screwed on too tight.' Koda commented. We lightly chuckled. Then, Koda sniffed and said, "Wait a second. I know this place!"

        "You do?" Kenai questioned. Yes, finally we can keep moving.

        "Yeah. The salmon run's not far. We just have to go through here." Koda said. Kenai and I went to where Koda was excited that we were almost there. Then, our jaws dropped as we saw what laid before us. A valley filled with rivers of lava and gas that sprung up from the ground. Kenai and I both looked at Koda with both our jaws hanging wide open. Koda looked at us and asked,

        "What?"

        We're doomed.