Sisterhood

The next day, Kenai, Koda, and I woke up early and began to travel. Koda was slightly tired, so he wasn't as chatty when he first woke up, but later in the morning. He perked up and started blabbering about his friend and Bucky. He was kind of annoying at first, but he eventually grew on me and we both started sharing stories, except that we would leave out the human part. Kenai was kind of ahead of us and I could tell that he was annoyed by all our chatting.

        "Okay. There was this one time that my best friend, Ahanu, and I decided to race each other back home. The problem was, we knew the way back, but we had miscalculated the distance. We probably ran a good six miles before either of us got back home. Ahanu was faster than the two of us, but I knew a short cut. So I managed to beat him. He got so mad and claimed that I was cheating, but I told him that the only rule we had was to be the first one to get there." I said.

        Koda laughed and said, "Okay. Okay. I've got one. There was this one time Bucky and I were hanging out and we stumbled across this giant pine nut. It had to be the biggest one in the world. Even bigger than your head. We showed our moms and even they were impressed!" I laughed and glanced at Kenai. I know that Kenai was annoyed with all of this. Koda saw that I was looking at him and asked,

        "What's the deal with your brother? Why doesn't he want to have any fun?"

        "Koda, there's so much you have yet to learn. Kenai and I have been through a lot in the past couple days that you couldn't even begin to imagine. We're both dealing with a great loss and with that loss came transformations that we're still trying to understand." I said.

        "Who did you lose?" Koda wondered. I didn't answer and I just walked on in silence and for once, Koda was silent...

        After a while, we came across a chunk of ice that was the size of a boulder. I noticed Koda walk over to it and he laughed, "Tehya, Kenai, come over here." I strode over to him curious as to what Koda wanted to show us. When I reached him, He pointed at the ice and I was able to see my reflection. Except, my reflection was totally distorted. I laughed remembering how Kenai and I used to do this when we were little. I observed my reflection a little closer taking a good look at what I'm like as bear. Technically cub. My fur coloring was almost the same as Kenai's. Thick and shaggy light brown fur and darker brown fur on the limbs under the elbows and knees, except I had a dark brown muzzle while Kenai's was lighter. I was bigger than Koda, but smaller than Kenai.

        This was so strange. In my human form, I was fairly tall for a twelve year old. Tall, slender, with long black hair that was braided and tucked into my clothes. I also had loose bangs that Denahi would always ruffle, so I they would always be in my dark brown eyes. This was the first time that I truly saw my bear form. This was real. Denahi is truly hunting us. Denahi. When I thought of Denahi, sorrow struck my heart. He was facing all of this alone. I felt horrible. Siblings are supposed to always stick together. I should be there for him. Not here messing around with this broken piece of a glacier. Then, I looked towards Kenai. He needs me right now too. Both of them do.

        "Teyha?" Kenai asked walking up to me, "Are you alright?"

        I shook the thoughts out of my head. I need to be focused right now. Kenai and Denahi are all I have left now. Since I can't be there for Denahi, I will be here for Kenai. I can't have my head in two places... in two worlds... at once.

        I glanced at Kenai and gave him a slight smile, "I'll be fine." That was the best answer I could give him. Kenai still looked worried and he was about to ask something else, but we were interrupted by Koda who was laughing and still messing around the little ice that made him appear skinny and big. I chuckled and Kenai said, "Hey, we've got a mountain to get to. Come on." Koda was not amused.

        "I told you. My name's not kid. It's Koda. Say it with me- Ko-da." Koda pronounced.

        "Are you sure your mom just didn't ditch you, Ko-duh!" Kenai retorted. Koda glared at him.

        "Come on, Koda, Kenai." I said, putting emphasis on Kenai's name to try to signal to him to knock off. Kenai just grumbled and we let Koda continue to lead the way.