NINE

"When I was 10 I woke up on the golden gate bridge. I had no idea how I had gotten there or what I was supposed to do. I sat on that bridge for hours. I didn't have a phone. I didn't know how I was supposed to get down. I contemplated jumping, off and on. I started to get hungry and those hours slowly turned into days. After a week up there a man appeared.

'Why haven't you moved?'

What are you talking about?

'We need you out there kid.'

Out where? I looked over the bridge.

The man paused and looked out over the bridge. He took a long breath.

'Things were easier back then. No one really wanted much.' He sat down, feet hanging over the edge. 'Crime is higher now. There are much more things at stake. I know you're not ready but there is no one else out there who can do what you can.'

What the heck are you talking about dude? I turned to him.

'I forgot I was speaking to a child.' He stood and walked over to me. 'You are Sentry. The greatest superhero to ever exist. You are unstoppable. I could throw you off this bridge and you'd live. My best friend had this gig before you. He was the best man for the job.'

That's not possible. 1.5% of people survive a fall from this bridge. I pushed up my glasses.

'The only way for you to die kid is if you will it.'

If I will it? This isn't some comic book. This is real life. I looked over the bridge again.

'Kid you don't even know who your parents are.'

Amy and Richard Forest.

'No, your real parents. Robert and Lindy Reynolds. Lindy was always skeptic of Bob's actions and addiction so when she got pregnant she put you up for adoption. Years went by and in an attempt to get Bob to release his full potential she was murdered.'

You are seriously trying to tell me that Sentry/The Void is my dad? Two blonde blue-eyed people don't make brunet brown eyed kids. Plus you can't pass down his power. It was a serum he was addicted to. I couldn't believe the words coming out of his mouth.

'You really know your stuff?'

Of course, I do. Can I leave now?

'I don't know. Can you?' He jumped off the bridge and flew away.

As I headed towards the edge all I remember is this ominous feeling of wonder. I let go and started free falling off the Golden Gate freaking Bridge. 'Fly, Avery! Fly!' echoed in the back of my head as I just kept falling. Inches, inches from the water my body stopped. I started to hover over The Golden Gate Channel. Do you know those skydiving practice machines? The iFLY? It was like that. Slowly I started rising above the water. The smile on my face came and left as fast as I fell. The realization of what Scout told me hit hard. I was a superhero, a child. I had more questions.

I had to find Scout. There was something highly important that I needed the answer too. I flew back to the bridge and waited. Time passed slower somehow. The feeling of hunger and thirst began to fade away. I laid down and waited. He found me once, so there was no doubt he would find me again. I closed my eyes and listened to the sound of traffic. The honking of car horns and the buzz of the city was drown out by the thumping in my chest.

'You're still here?'

I didn't know where to look for you so I waited. I need to know one thing.

'I thought you knew your stuff?'

How is this even possible?

'When Bob died his powers were transferred to the close living blood relative he had.'

Bob is dead?

'That's the only way for this to work. His powers need somewhere else to go. ' He paced the bridge.

They needed another living entity to occupy and they found me. That doesn't mean we're that closely related.

'Yes, it does. Robert and Lindy don't have any other living relatives kid. You are the only one.'

The genetics behind this doesn't make any sense. You know that right?

'Then how would you explain it?'

I was chosen. Somehow, someone, somewhere choose me to carry this gift. That's the only logical explanation.

"That..you know what it doesn't matter what you believe kid as long as you know who you are. You have all the power of a thousand suns coursing inside of you.'

I'm only 10. What am I supposed to do with all that power?

'Save the world. It's your destiny and one day it will belong to someone else but for now, it's yours.'

Seems a little unfair for one person to carry the world on their shoulders. I proclaimed.

'You'll have some help for now. In a couple of years, you'll be on your own.'

Oh great.

'You'll make some amazing friends along the way I promise. I think that's it.

Wait. One more thing.

'What's that?'

I need to know everything there is to know about The Void....like today.

'He is like the Angel of Death but highly methodical and deceptive. You have to remember that you are in charge. He will try to manipulate you in every way. Kid, I know what you're thinking. this will be the hardest secret you will have to keep. As you get older some of the people you meet will become the most important. They will help you be the greatest version of yourself. Let them. They are going to help you figure this thing out. But for the next year, this secret is yours alone. We will help you along the way, as much as possible. One day we won't be here.'

I sat down. What was I supposed to say next? The biggest secret of my life was just thrown in my face.

We? Who else is out there? When I turned around he was already gone.

I flew home. My mom and dad were in the living room crying. It had come to my attention that I had been gone for days with no warning. I wanted to tell them everything that happened but I couldn't form the words. I collapsed at their feet. I was so drained. Emotionally. Mentally. They were asking a million and one questions and I didn't know how to answer them. I just began sobbing uncontrollably. They still don't know what happened to me. It wasn't a traumatic experience for me but I can't imagine what they went through. It pains me to know they were hurt because of something I couldn't control. I had a feeling he left something out. The void is due back. He's coming and I can't get rid of him by myself. I need your help. Please say you'll help me Kinsley."