TEN

"Do the planets actually orbit?"

I nodded as I tried to get Neptune to cooperate. "I replicated every planet to its full extent."

Finally, Neptune snapped into orbit. After hours of fidgeting with it, it responds the right way. All the planets are at a standstill hovering in place.

"Could you grab the sun and place it exactly 359.8 millimeters away from mercury?"

"Do you have a ruler with that exact measurement?" He asked.

"Avery look beside the sun and don't forget the gloves." I pointed.

"I don't need gloves remember?" He picked the sun and the yardstick. "I'm like Superman but better."

"I liked you better when you talked less." He got silent. "I'm just kidding. You're really opening up. It's impressive."

Cracking a smile he said. "You're not too bad yourself."

"Okay, hotshot enough with the sappy conversation. Psamathe and Neso have to be placed and we're good to go."

The preciseness of their placement was everything. If I was just a millimeter off the entire system would crash....again. This is our fifth test this month. I could feel Avery doubting this project would ever work. Just the way he asked 'Do the planets actually orbit?' Like of course they do. I haven't spent the past 12 or so years creating diddle squat. I felt Avery walk up behind me. His presence was sort of calming. My hands were shaking. Why on Earth were they doing that? Oh. No. This can't be happening.

I was trying to focus on this project. I could feel his stare piercing my face. Neso slid into place fast and easy. Just like it was destined to do. He was moving closer and closer.

"Is it getting hot in here or is it just me?" He whispered.

I turned to face him. "You are holding the sun at close proximity."

"That's not what I was talking about." He was staring. "So what happens now Kinsley?"

"You place the sun in its specific spot." I turned to the system

I looked up at him and knew that's not what he was talking about. We just stood there staring at each other. It was more intense than the sun. Our heads were tilting and my eyes were closing. I just felt sparks. I wrapped my arms around him and I knew at this moment I didn't want to let go. How was I supposed to defeat the other part of him? It was still him, right? His lips pressed against mine. I felt like the perfect puzzle. I really didn't want this moment to end.

"Hey-" Alex burst into the basement. I heard the sun hit the floor.

"No. Out. Now." I commanded. We heard her back out the door.

"That wasn't cool," Avery spoke out.

"Avery you don't get it. I need this to work. Alex understands that. She always has." I backed away.

"You don't treat people like that K." Avery started heading upstairs.

"Like what Avery?" I turned and he was already gone.

I picked up the shattered pieces of the sun. How was I supposed to fix this? Our project was due in 2 weeks. 2 weeks. My heart fell. What was that about? I didn't say anything out of character. I know how Alex gets around science stuff. She wants to touch everything. I can't have that. Not down here. Avery knows that. At least I thought he knew how important this project was. I'm not failing because of them. I can't with this bullshit. Not today. My mom is still pretending to enjoy her trash ass marriage. My dad is in and out of my life like an infomercial. My science partner is also my partner in crime fighting who is also my crush. How great?