NINE.FIVE

"Avery where are we going?" I looked out the window

".....the movies." He kept his eyes on the road.

"What?" He parked at the movies. I was thrown all the way off.

He looked at me and just started talking. "I know we said we were going to work on the system but the new Rainz just came out and..."

"It's cool. I didn't bring my wallet, I wasn't prepared for this at all." I hate having people pay for everything.

He got out and opened my door. "I got you." Great.

We walked in and he bought our tickets and snacks.

"Y'all are such a cute couple." The concession worker said.

"We're no-"

"Thank you." Avery put his arm on my shoulder as we walked into the room.

I was confused.

"Sorry about that." He sat down our snacks. "Every time I say I'm single someone tries hitting on me. And it makes me very uncomfortable."

"It's the least I could do Mr. Warbucks." I popped his collar.

He sat. "My dad owns a multibillion-dollar company and my mom is basically a surgical God."

"Loads of free time and lots of money." I nudged him "I promise it's all good."

"You're the first person to not judge me." He shrugged.

"You've seen my life. how could I?" I sat down.

He smiled and turned his attention towards the screen. The previews were great the movie, not so much. Every jump scare got me. I'm usually really good at watching movies but something about this situation made me nervous. Avery extended his hand and I grabbed it. Each time I got scared I squeezed and released. Why was I like this? I can handle scary movies. I watch them all the time.

After the movie, we walked out to his car and just sat there for a while. I don't know what's wrong with me. This isn't like me. We got in and he drove me home.

"KJ, you good?"

I sighed. "I don't know. Ask me again tomorrow."

He laughed. The radio went up and Psycho by Post Malone was playing. We screamed the lyrics, song after song. The best car ride I've ever had. I laughed hard. We got to my house and he opened my door, yet again. Such a gentleman. He walked me to the door and for a second time tonight, just enjoyed the silence.

"Thank you for agreeing to go to the movies with me." He calmly spoke

"No problem, thanks for taking me and paying for everything. I'll pay you back." I responded.

"You don't have to." He asserted.

"I'll see you tomorrow." I unlocked the door. "I had a great time."

"Me too."

I kissed his cheek and went inside closing the door. I locked it.

"Where you been farthead?" Jay took me out of my trance.

"None of your business Shortstack." I grabbed an apple.

"Godzilla relax." He puffed.

"Kevin Hart I think it's time for your nap." I snapped.

"You overgrown toenail." He breathed.

"Call me when you hit that growth spurt you've been talking about." I ran upstairs and shut my door.