Chapter 2

When I came to, I was lying down looking up at a ceiling. I had no idea where I was, I couldn’t remember anything.

     I tried to sit up but was pulled back down as a wave of nausea washed over me.

     “Taylor, are you alright? Answer me please!” It was dark, and I couldn’t see where the voice was coming from. It was deep, but soothing. It was friendly and welcoming. I knew that voice from somewhere.

     I stood up with a sudden urge telling me that I needed to get out of this place. Something’s watching me in the dark. I could feel it. Its eyes, were like lasers; like I’m attached to something.

     Then, the lights flicked on. I was in a small room. It was small and very cave-like, but made out of wood. It was very pleasant, and homey. “Where am I?” I asked. A small chill crept up my back.

     I jumped startled, as a voice said, “Why does it matter? You’re never going to leave. You’ll die here eventually.” The voice started to laugh.

     “Who are you? Leave me alone!” I shouted. The voice never answered me, and I guess it didn’t have to. As soon as the words left my mouth, I woke up.

     I was disoriented at first, but slowly my mind settled and I could think straight again. I pushed myself up so I was resting on my elbows.

    “How are you feeling?” I looked up and saw the guy, Toby, leaning against a nearby tree.

     I put my hand to my head, “I’m feeling better. Just a little hot-” I stopped talking and looked around, “Where is everyone?” I sat up straighter, glancing around for my friends and coach.

     Reading my mind, Toby said, “They just went to get you something to drink, I offered to take you out of the sun. Hope you don’t mind.” He smiled.

     “No not at all. Do you mind helping me to my feet? I feel like I need to stand and walk around.”

     “As long as you don’t pass out again.” he gripped my arm firmly, pulling me to my feet in one swift motion.

     “Thanks.” I pulled away from him and walked around. I felt light headed at first but soon was steady on my feet.

     “Hey, you’re up.” I turned and saw my coach standing with some of my teammates. She tossed a bottle of water at me. “Tiana said you were feeling a little,” She searched for a word, “under the weather.”

     I shrugged, “I was.” I raised the bottle of water and took a long drink from it. “Thanks, this is just what I needed.” I smiled.

     “If you’re feeling better, I’d like to call your parents to come and get you.” My coach said.

     “Oh, it’s alright. I don’t live far from here. I can walk home, anyways my moms probably at work.” I grabbed my bag from Tammy and swung it over my shoulder.

     I was about to turn around, but my coach was already shaking her head. “I don’t think that’s a good idea. I’d feel better if you had your mom come and got you. I don’t want you wondering around after you had just passed out.”

     “Mrs. Joostema-” I started, but Toby cut me off.

     “If you’d like, I could drive you home. I live by you anyways.” Toby smiled.

     I could tell my coach wanted to say no, but something in the way Toby said it, it made her change her mind.

     “Okay. But I want you to call me as soon as you get home, just to make sure your parents know.”