Chapter 24

I knew I was safe the moment Tristan held me in his arms. I knew I was going to make it the moment Kyle breathed life into me. I know, now, what I’m to do with my life now that this has all blown over for now.

     I didn’t think Tristan could do it. But he did. He carried me the entire way to the edge of the Vea Forest; which let me tell you, was a very long way away.

     Once we were free from the forest, Brian had called Kyle and Alyssa’s mom who came with help. An ambulance filled with paramedics arrived. The paramedics looked over Alyssa and Carter, along with everyone else there. I was taken away in ambulance-the paramedics wanted to keep me over night for observations because of the smoke inhalation-which Tristan decided to join me in.

     I was lying on the stretcher waiting to be put in the ambulance when Alyssa and Kyle’s parents walked over.

     They were exact replicas of Kyle and Alyssa. Mr. Keegan was holding Mrs. Keegan’s hand tightly. They walked over like they were one. Relief and concern was spread over their faces.

     “Taylor, I’m Max, this is my wife Terry.” We shook hands. Both were very gentle and hardly touched me, as if I was going to fall apart in their hands.

     “Nice to meet you.” I said politely

      They stood their awkwardly for a moment, before Max cleared his throat. “We wanted to make sure that you were okay. Kyle and Alyssa told us some of the things that have been going on. If there’s anything you need, don’t hesitate to ask.” He smiled.

     I nodded. “Thank you, sir.”

     “Hello Tristan.” Terry said.

     Tristan walked up and stood beside me. He nodded, “Hi.” Then he turned to me. “They’re going to take you now; I’m going to come with you.”

     “Kay.” I looked over at the Keegan’s. “It was very nice to meet you. I hope to see you again.”

     Terry took my hands. “Never hesitate to call.” With that, Terry and Max left.

     I closed my eyes as the paramedics rolled me into the ambulance. My brother sat up near my head, he reached down and grabbed my good arm.

     “Thanks for saving me.” I said to him, as lightly as I could.

     He brought my hand to his lips and kissed it. “I love you Taylor.”

     It was the first time that he’d ever said anything like that to me, I wanted to return the words, but my eye lids felt heavy and soon sleep took me away with a warm feeling creeping over me.

     When I woke up, I was in the hospital room that I had before; I’d remember the feeling anywhere.

      When I first opened my eyes, I noticed the white ceiling, then the white walls. I brought my eyes back down and looked over at Tristan, who slept in the chair.

     I pushed myself to a sitting position. My broken arm was in a bright pink cast. I was in a bit of pain; bringing my hand to my abdomen, I found that I was stitches there. I brought my hand to the back of my head. There was a small spot that was shaved, stitches were there too.

     I pulled my hospital gown down a bit, and saw stitches on my shoulder and a long piece of gaze that was stretched over my collar bone.

     As I sat up, I swung my feet over the bed. My bare feet making a smacking noise as they connected with the ground.