Chapter 20

Shadowpaw blinked open her eyes, pale moonlight seeped into the medicine clearing, and she heard the steady breathing of Ivyleaf from behind her.

Foxflame's scent lingered semi-stale, he must have left for his watch not to long ago. For the first time Shadowpaw felt a prickle of doubt deep in the pit of her stomach.

Thinking of Foxflame... Do I? Could I? Is this feeling that I get when I'm with him... Is it love? No, no it cant be, I-I'm the death bringer I cant love him... But I do. This isn't right, I am a cat of no stars, no, I'm the cat of no stars, I'm the leader of the dark forest!

Shadowpaw hissed frustratedly, sinking her claws into the moss. I am a cat of the shadows, he belongs in the light of stars. How can a dark cat love a cat who belongs in the light, Foxflame is a good soul, even I can see that he is one of true heart.

Shadowpaw closed her eyes with a sigh, forcing her troubled thoughts to the back of her head as she curled up again, waiting for sleep to wash over her again.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

<Foxflame>

Foxflame kept his gaze firmly on the trees, aware of Swanpaw sitting on the opposite side of the entrance. His ears were perked, his whole body alert to catch any tiny sounds or scents.

Foxflame seeped his gaze through the trees, then dipped his head to Swanfeather to tell her he was going to do a roundabout the camp. She returned the gesture, and Foxflame stood, padding slowly and silently along the bramble camp wall, his ears perked for the sound of any intruders.

Foxflame caught a glimpse of Shadowpaw through the thorn wall as he passed by, the lithe black she-cat lay curled up, her whiskers twitching probably from a dream.

Foxflame continued walking, but his thoughts were distracted with the younger cat. The look in her shining yellow eyes, like stars in the sky, as he had talked with her.

Shadowpaw's sweet scent still clung to his fur, and he closed his eyes for a second, lost in memory. Foxflame pricked his ears at a sound, and stood stiffly, scenting the air and watching intently before he continued, soon settling back down at the camps entrance next to Swanfeather.

Foxflame shook his head, how come whenever I close my eyes I see her? Why do I always think of her when I'm hunting alone, she's just a friend... Right? Or is she more then that... Is this feeling I get when I'm with her, this warm feeling, could it be love?

Foxflame shook his head to clear it, come on Foxflame focus, focus on guarding. He resumed his alertness, shivering slightly against the cool wind, which promised that leaf-fall was near. Foxflame and Swanfeather sat side-by-side, taking turns circling around the camp as the other stays guarding the entrance, the new warriors felt awake with energy and excitement, even though the cold air nipped at the tips of their ears.

Foxflame felt warm despite the cold, excitement as well as his burning love for the young she-cat, right then, he was sure he could wait for her forever if he had to.

(Another chapter done! Sorry this took so long, I was busy with lots of things here and there, but even though there was a... Slight throwback, I'm getting better now, hope you guys liked the chapter, and I am going to be switching between Foxflame and Shadowpaw from time to time just to let you guys know, throwing in another cats opinion on matters you know, love ya guys baiii! <3 Jade)