The Beast That You Feed

Sachi wasn't used to her new look.

She pulled out her compact mirror from her purse to look herself over while Kael scarfed down his lunch. She looked like a Bratz Doll except without the heavy eyeliner and eyeshadow. "You look great," Kael said at her sullen mood.

Sachi snorted with an eye-roll. Even she had to admit that she looked better with her natural jet black hair. Kael, on the other hand, looked handsome as ever even with his hair a deep shade of blue. Some people can wear a sack of potatoes and still look good. Kael was one of those people.

To her surprise, her parent's reaction to the new look was not how she had imagined it. Her father even complimented the color saying that it brought out her complexion.

She put the compact mirror away, placed her chopsticks inside the Bento box, and closed it. "You barely touched your food," Kael said. "I don't have an appetite," Sachi replied.

That morning, while lying in her bed, she stared up at the ceiling trying to access the recesses of her mind to see anything. The only thing she did was give herself a throbbing headache.

She stood up pushing the chair back. The metal legs screeched against the granite floor causing heads to turn in their direction.

Her cheeks flushed, Sachi tucked a lock of her lilac-colored hair behind her ear. "I'm going to stop by the nurses' office to get some pain medicine. Do you want to come with me?"

Nodding, Kael stood and rubbed his thumb against her cheek. "I'm sorry that you don't feel well."

"I just don't know why I haven't been able to see anything lately," she said dismayed. "It's probably stress that's clouding your mind," Kael said. "Try not to worry so much over it." "Easier said than done," Sachi mumbled under her breath.

They made their way to the nurses' office. She avoided going there because of not wanting to talk about The Time Clock Killings with the counselors. The pitying stares troubled her the most.

She knocked on the door. "Hello. Ms. King?"

The petite woman, who looked no older than twenty-five, stopped typing on the computer and looked over her shoulder. Smiling, she stood up immediately; her brunet bob hairstyle swaying as she moved swiftly from around her desk dressed in scrubs. "Hello, Sachi."

She noticed Kael standing on the other side of the doorway. "Hello, Kael."

"Hi. Ms. King," he said, standing firmly in place.

"So what brings you to my office today? Did you want to speak to the counselor I recommended?"

Sachi cleared her throat. "N-No. That's not why I'm here. I was wondering if you could give me a couple of aspirin for a headache."

Without delay, the nurse opened the cabinet and took out an individually wrapped packet containing a couple of aspirin and handed it to her. Sachi took it. "Thanks."

As she turned to leave, the nurse said, "Listen. I know you may be tired of hearing this but I think talking to a counselor would be good for you. You've gone through a lot this past year and it helps to talk to someone about it."

"I know," Sachi said. "I'll consider it." "Please do," the nurse said.

Mouthing a quiet, "Okay," Sachi slipped out the door.

Tearing the packet open, she tossed the aspirin into her mouth and gagged as the pills disintegrated. She ran over to the nearest water fountain to wash the bitter taste out of her mouth; Kael following behind. Her phone vibrated inside her purse.