A Friendly Visit

Sachi wandered down the aisle browsing the variety of hair colors on the drugstore shelf. Finding a blue color for Kael was easy. However, finding a blue-green color was more difficult than she thought. 

She settled on lilac figuring that it went better with her complexion. Scoping up the boxes she placed them inside the shopping basket.

Her phone buzzed with a text message notification. Where are you! She rolled her eyes. "Dammit McCoy," she muttered. She wondered how did he find out she skipped school? Did he somehow acquire psychic abilities?

She sent him a text back. I'm with Kael. Don't worry we're fine. She waited for him to respond but none came. 

"Let me guess. Your godfather?" Kael said stealing a glance at the boxes of hair dye in the basket. Sachi sighed. "He has some kind of internal radar, I swear. I told him I was with you." 

Kael snorted a chuckle and shrugged.

"Lilac," he said eying her curiously. She bit her lip. "I think it'll go better with my complexion. Blue-green would make me look pale and ghostly don't you think?" He shook his head. "I think you'll look beautiful no matter what hair color you wear." Blushing, she smiled.

They headed towards the checkout. 

"Which house are we going to to do this?" Kael asked. "Yours or mine?" "Mine," Sachi replied. "I think either way both our parents will get weirded out with our new do's," she said imagining their perplexed faces and choruses of astonished gasps.

Digging in her purse for cash, she came across the now crinkled note that Emma handed to her earlier that day at the bleachers. "Before we go to my house, I want to stop by the hospital to see Emily first," she said. "No problem," Kael said.

Taking the express, they arrived at the hospital in minutes.

As they stepped inside the hospital through the revolving doors, they noticed a heavy security presence in the lobby. 

"Do they think the killer would try to attack Emily at the hospital?" Sachi thought. Kael gulped. Though his face showed no emotion, Sachi wondered if he had been thinking the same thing.

They made their way towards the elevators. Kael punched the up arrow. 

Just then, her phone buzzed in her purse with another notification. To her surprise, it wasn't a message from McCoy. Calpurnia had released a new single recently. She made a mental note to listen to it as soon as she was able as the elevator door opened.

After a brief ride, they arrived on the floor. 

When they exited the elevator, the twosome found themselves turned about at which direction to go. The note that Emma provided made no mention of it.

Flagging down a technician, he pointed them in the direction towards the rooms. While walking down the long corridor, Sachi noted that the air smelled of cleansers and floor wax. 

Finally, they found Emily's room in the far corner. 

The lighting was dull as the girl, swallowed up amidst the pillows and bedsheets she lay on, faced the window staring out at the overcast sky while holding an ice packet against her cheek.

Sachi cleared her throat. "Emily?" 

The brunette turned her head and grimaced. Grunting with a head tilt, she motioned for the couple to enter the room. "How are you feeling?" Sachi said. She immediately noticed the bruising on the girl's cheek and eye.

Emily set the ice packet down on the food tray placed in front of her and grabbed a tablet resting by her side.

Scribbling with her finger, she wrote and held up the tablet for them to see.  "I'm feeling okay. I'm glad that Emma gave you the note," accompanying it with a  grunt.