Curiosity Kills

Sachi opened her eyes to nothingness. Her head throbbed to where it hurt to think. Where am I? She lay on a cold surface. She shivered. Besides her breathing, she heard nothing else.

Turning to her side, she reached out and felt cool dirt between her fingers. The air was dank and stale. A thought occurred to her. Wherever she was, there may be rodents, spiders, and other creepy crawling things scurrying about.

She winced. The throbbing in her head worsened. The pain felt as though someone hit her in the head with a sledgehammer.

Fumbling in the dark, she felt for her phone. She recalled placing it in her pants pocket at the last minute instead of inside her purse.

With relief, she felt the familiar edges. Taking it out, she unlocked the lock screen and immediately turned on the flashlight to illuminate the area.

She jolted with fright. In front of her was a silhouette of an old mustard-colored streetcar emerging out of the darkness—-a relic from Cleveland's not so distant past. EUCLID PUBLIC SQ its sign read. A streetcar?" she murmured. Why does it seem so familiar?

Almost afraid of what she would see, she checked her text messages. Veterans Memorial Bridge it read. At some point and time, she had sent the three worded message to McCoy. Her chest tightening, the pieces of how she ended up in her current predicament rushed into her mind...,

It started the night before. She went with Kael for support when he confronted his parents about his parentage. The revelation ended with him crumpled on the floor—the only parent's that he's ever known huddled over him, them all clinging to each other in a tearful embrace. 

Though the folder revealed a name, Sachi felt that she needed to go to the person who could fill in the blanks—Chad.

The plan was simple enough. She would go to the police station after school and speak to the receptionist to glean any information that she could from him.

Though Chad is a potential suspect, Sachi couldn't wrap her head around the idea that someone meek and unassuming was capable of the violent rage that The Copycat Killer is known for. Yeah. She saw flashes of anger in his eyes when he spoke of his brother who was put up for adoption. That, however, was understandable anger of the irritating kind.

She knew that if McCoy, who was with her mother, caught a whiff of her plan, he would talk her out of it—more like demand knowing his temperament. He didn't have to worry. 

She had it all figured out. She would ask a couple of questions and be on her way in less than five minutes. No harm, no foul.

Once safely home, she would pack up a few of her belongings and essentials. McCoy recommended that she and her parents leave that afternoon once her dad returned from work to stay at the hotel for the duration of the investigation. The plan was foolproof. What could go wrong?

The battery on her phone was at sixty-six percent. She needed to alert McCoy or Kael of her whereabouts before her phone dies. Where is she exactly?

She dialed McCoy's number. The call wouldn't connect because of a lack of a signal.

"Damn," Sachi muttered. "What the hell can I do now? Think. Think," she thought to conjure up something—anything—that she could do to get herself out of this situation.

Her vision adjusting to the darkness, she could make out her location. She was underground.

Cleveland once had a Subway Station that carried streetcars until 1954. She recollected learning that information from reading an online article when the Station was opened to the public for a tour back in 2013.