The Officer and His Assistant

"How'd it go?" Wolf said.  Sachi scrunched brow scrunched.  "What?"

 "Your talk with your dad about my offer," Wolf said stating the obvious. Remembering the conversation, Sachi grimaced. "Not well."

"No. Absolutely not," Lars said folding his arms across his chest. 

"McCoy thinks maybe us staying at a hotel for a while would be good in case there is a stalker," Sachi reasoned. "I understand that," Lars said. "I just think placing ourselves in an environment for an unspecified amount of time could be a detriment in your mom's recovery. I think our security here will suffice."

"But—" Sachi stammered. 

"Didn't you say that you suspect that someone from your school played a cruel prank with a...," He glanced over at Nozomi standing nearby before whispering his next words, "A time clock." 

"I did," Sachi replied, scowling at the memory and Emma's lack of remorse. "Look I know Wolf means well," Lars said. "I think for all intents and purposes that we're safer here."

Wolf ran his fingers through his thinning scalp. "I figured that he'd react this way." 

"If it's any comfort, the patrols help," Sachi said. 

"Don't say that I didn't try," he said.

"Okay," he said knowing there was no point in continuing the fruitless conversation. "Two things. June 1st." "What is happening June the first," Sachi said, her intrigue growing as her godfather smirked at her. 

"Calpurnia will be playing at the Governors Ball in New York City on June 1st," Wolf said. "I still owe you concert tickets for your help on the Time Clock Killer case. Do you still want to see them or not?" 

"Of course," Sachi said emphatically.

She rushed into his arms nearly knocking him over by the sheer force. "Thank you so much," she said hugging him tightly.

Chuckling softly, he took a step back to look at his goddaughter gazing up at him teary-eyed. 

She looked more grown-up since he last saw her. It was as though overnight; she matured into a beautiful young woman. He wished, however, that she wasn't in a rush to grow up and enjoy her teenage years without the adult complications. Why are kids in such a hurry to grow up, anyway?

"So what's the second thing," she said wiping her eyes. "You said you had two things," she said reminding him of his previous statement. 

Wolf snorted. "The second thing is that I'm offering you a job. I want you to be my assistant."

She bit her lip; contemplating his offer.  

"I'll pay you," he said to sweeten the deal.   This way, you can save up for college intuition or buy yourself another car. Whatever you want to do. I'll also work around your school schedule so it doesn't interfere with your studies." 

"I accept," Sachi said at once. "Great," Wolf said. "I'll have you placed on the payroll today."

Not one to be idle, he headed over to the file cabinet, opened a drawer, and took out a manila folder. "As my official assistant, the first thing we're going to do is go over this case file about The Copycat Killer."

He took out a picture of the crime scene and laid it across his desk. Sachi winced. No matter how many times she's seen them looking over photos of dead bodies was something she could ever get used to seeing. How McCoy could do it without losing his lunch, she didn't know.

After getting over the shock of the brutality of the killing, Sachi wondered while staring at the photo of the lifeless dark-haired young man, what life he led before his tragic death.

"Look at this," Wolf said, pointing to the victim's hands in the enlarged photograph. "There's blood and skin cells underneath his fingernails. So far, we haven't found a match in our database of whose blood it is. I'm pretty sure that the blood is that of the killer." 

"Do you think he scratched the killer during the struggle?" Sachi said. "I'm sure of it," Wolf replied matter-of-factly.

Nibbling her lip, Sachi thought of something she'd seen. She dismissed it thinking it was just a coincidence.

Wolf laid on his desk a photo of the latest crime scene of the still-unidentified woman. "What do the two victims have in common?" Wolf said while Sachi studied and compared the two photos. "They both have dark hair," she said. 

"And they both are young," Wolf added. "This shows that the killer has a pattern."

Sachi's mind raced. "If he chooses young dark-haired victims then that means...," 

She froze with fear the thought too incomprehensible to voice out loud. "Your boyfriend has dark hair," Wolf said having an idea of what his goddaughter was thinking. "So do I," she said gulping. "I have dark hair and am young." 

"We can't delay in catching him," Wolf said. "I agree," Sachi said, understanding McCoy's anxiousness.  "I'm glad we're on the same page," Wolf said.

"Any help that you can give will be—" 

McCoy's voice faded.  Images appeared in Sachi's mind.

Darkness. An underground station. "Sachi!" A voice yelled in the hollow space.

"Hey," Wolf said placing his hand on her shoulders causing Sachi to jump. "Yeah," she said finding herself staring up at her godfather towering over her. 

"Did you hear what I said?" Wolf said staring directly into her eyes. "I did," Sachi lied. "I'll do all I can to help catch him."

Wolf arched his brow sensing that she was withholding something from him. Something that she saw. He knew that look all too well. "Stick around. I'll take you home." 

"Okay," Sachi said numbly taking a seat in the chair while Wolf put the folder and pictures back in the file cabinet.

Though she had intended on exploring downtown after the visit, she needed time to digest all that she learned adding to the troubling thought that there's a killer out there targeting youthful dark-haired people. Dark-haired people like herself and Kael. It seems as though life wasn't done giving her the middle finger yet.