Don't Leave

Birch forest to desert to badlands. The continent seemed to fluctuate oddly between biomes. Your voice was tired from talking. Your throat was scratchy and you needed water. The sun had barely set before you and Steve settled for the night. He was silent the whole time. 

The tent was up and the stars came out. You were restless and all you could do was watch Steve breathe as he slept. You watched the sky. The stars winked at you as they dragged across the horizon.

You got up and took in the view from the mesa you and Steve parked your tent on. The warm colors cooled in the night. The reds, yellows, and oranges glowed purple, blue, and black and stretched on forever. The mesas looked like ocean waves frozen in time, rising and falling across the ground. You looked away. You wondered how far away Sky City was from there.

You carefully stepped down the mesa. Your foot slipped a few times, but you made it to the bottom in one piece. The blues and purples and blacks surrounded you in their shadows. You felt small compared to the giant mesas. You felt cold.

Hugging yourself, you wandered around aimlessly, wanting to tire yourself out enough to sleep. Your mind was still racing with things you wanted to tell Steve, but it would have to wait until sunlight. You wondered if Herobrine was watching you walk around. You tried to tell what you knew about Herobrine to Steve earlier. But he seemed so lost in his own thoughts. He was so quiet. It bothered you.

The ground was flat and hard. The ground pounded pressure into your joints and feet and it wasn't too long until your legs were tired. You sat on the ground occasionally, to rest, and then you got up again. You still didn't feel tired. You could see the moon high above you. It was midnight and your mind was still buzzing.

Your leg brushed up against a dead bush and it startled you. The scratching noise was so abrupt and loud in the silent night. Your heart fluttered nervously. As if you weren't already awake enough.

You sat down as your leg muscles throbbed. All you could hear was the wind and your own thoughts racing through your mind. You hugged your knees and stared up at the mesa you came from. You could still see the peak of the tent poke out from the top. You hadn't walked as far as you thought.

The night continued to endlessly stretch until you heard footsteps. They echoed off the mesa walls and sounded closer than they were. You looked up and saw a striking figure. Bright aqua stuck out like a sore thumb against the dark badlands. Glowing white eyes met yours. Herobrine approached you slowly, seemingly unbothered by the cold night. His face was unreadable as you patted the flat ground next to you. He accepted and you both sat shoulder to shoulder. You could feel a heavy warmness radiate off of him and you found yourself leaning in. Neither of you said a word. Neither of you had to.

The moon scraped across the sky and you tried to find your favorite constellations, but you didn't know if it was the right season yet. You pointed out one to Herobrine.

"That one is one of my favorites." you said sleepily.

You didn't even realize how tired you had become. Your hand retreated slowly to your side as Herobrine's attention was brought to the constellation. You could see his eyes flicker, you wondered what it meant since he did it so often. Did it let him see better? Was it like squinting or blinking? Your eyes drooped and you shook your head to try and stay awake. Herobrine looked at you.

"I don't have a favorite constellation. But I do like the North Star." he muttered.

You gazed up at him. A breeze blew past and it ruffled his messy hair. The light from his eyes swirled around his head like a halo. He looked almost ethereal and magical. You would've questioned if he was real if he wasn't radiating so much heat onto you. You smiled tiredly at him.