Déjà Vu

You could see a house in the distance. Looking at it gave you a feeling of safety and security. As you stepped up to the porch, you could smell something sweet. The door creaked open and arms wrapped around you.

"I'm so glad you're home!"

The voice was warm and happy, but it didn't sound familiar. The person let go of you and went inside. You followed behind, looking at the cozy surroundings. There was a plush couch and an oak table. The carpet was soft beneath your feet as you stood there, soaking it all in.

You followed the stranger to the kitchen, where the sweet smell was coming from. You smiled as you saw them pull a pie from the oven.

"What flavor is it?" You asked softly.

"It's an apple pie, your favorite."

It wasn't actually your favorite pie, but you didn't care. You felt happy and safe around this person. They cut the pie and laid a slice on a plate. You gratefully took it and scooped up a bite.

But you stopped for a second.

Before the fork hit your mouth, you stopped. You laid the fork back down on the plate and set it on the table. The stranger looked at you confusedly.

"Who are you?" You asked.

The smell of sweet pie had faded away. You were suddenly aware of a pain in your back. You could see the face of the stranger clearly now that you stopped to look. And you couldn't stop looking. His skin was pitch black and his eyes were a deep red. He wore a white jacket that drifted near the ground. The edges of his face were blurry, like he was a shadow.

"I'm no one important, don't worry. Just looking out for a friend."

They smiled at you as you backed away, no longer feeling as safe as you did.

"I don't know who you are. We aren't friends."

"We could be. I could consider us friends."

"How could you? I don't even know your name. You don't know mine."

"I know enough about you, y/n. I think you know more about me than you realize."

"I don't recognize you. Have I met you before?"

"You may meet me soon. If you choose to meet me, anyways."

"Are you...real? Am I imagining you?"

"I am real. I promise."

"How can I trust you?"

"You can't, really...but I'm not asking you to trust me. I'm just doing what I think is right."

"And what are you doing, exactly?"

"As I said, looking out for you."

You stared at him for quite some time. He gave you a smile and cut another slice of pie for himself. You didn't feel safe around him, but he didn't seem dangerous. You stayed where you stood, watching him closely.

"What's your name?"

"I go by many names. You could even make one up for me if you wanted, I don't mind."

"What are those names?"

"Well...there's quite a few. But most people tend to call me Entity."