Chapter 3 - From This Day Forward

FIN

Jumping out of the shower I wrapped a towel around my head. And with another, start rubbing my body dry. As Puppy slops up the moisture on my feet.

Leaving behind....more moisture  😖

He then took off like a shot and howled piteously from behind the couch. For the entire duration the hairdryer was switched on.

I tossed my hair back, running fingers through it until satisfied it's dry. Then stand naked in front of the wardrobe that holds my new clothes. Contemplating what to wear for an 'interview with a prospective landlady / flatmate'.

Well, not really 'new'  clothes either, but they're new to me.

Eddie is a fashion designer, with creations that are as avant-garde as he is. He tried in vain to deck me out in some seconds of his wares. Telling me I have the hair, face and body of a model....shame about the height though.

I thought at five foot seven I was Ok in that respect, but apparently not.

Silly bugger has to get glasses though. As his assessments of my looks are chalk and cheese to mine. Ummmm....helloooo....I've got boobs for crying out loud!

Not to mention a normally tangled mane of hair. Trout pout lips with teeth that take up most of the real estate on my face. And eyebrows that I almost have to attack with a lawnmower every month.

Ed's designs are a little bit too eclectic and 'out there'  for me. And I prayed that my refusal of his lovely offer was gracious and tactful. Must've done a decent job of it? As he didn't seem too put out.

Only sulked a little bit.

Though he cheered up no-end. Once he discovered I have a little knack for finding absolute bargains in the designer thrift stores he introduced me to. Hence my 'new but old'  wardrobe.

I'm not too proud to wear hand-me-downs. Cos I need to be careful with my money in one of the world's most expensive cities.

And I'm extra proud of what's in front of me now. Especially as Ed had given them all his personal seal of approval.

I've managed to score some absolutely stunning clothes. That've been worn in most cases only once by the fashion doyennes of New York. Before being cast aside in order to make room in their lavish wardrobes for more.

Lucky me!

"You have a good eye for colours and structure, Fin. If you ever get sick of making silly squiggles on a computer screen for a living? You can always come and work for me."

Eddie announced this proudly. While watching the sales assistant carefully wrap up a vintage silk skirt, which has all the colours of my eyes in its swirling patterns. That, coupled with the softest cashmere twin set in a dreamy dove grey? Will do me for many meetings with management at my new job.

Hope I'm not giving the wrong impression here?

I'm far from being a clothes horse. Especially after spending most of my life happily clad in dust-caked moleskin jeans, a tee and a flannelette shirt. Whilst out and about on the station. Or jeans, tee and jacket later on when I was working in Sydney.

But when I do get the opportunity to dress up? I kind of enjoy it and like to look as best I can. However, my normally ragged fingernails or hastily slapped-on makeup usually gives me away.

And being here in such a fashion-conscious city, I'm really gonna have to lift my game. So I won't look like the country bumpkin Ed alluded to this morning.