Chapter 35

POV: Cameron

My heart felt as if someone took a pick ax to it and then stomped all over it.

How could she have not made it? This is the 21st century, women don't die in child birth anymore!

They allowed me to look at her body though. The blood had been cleaned from her, the mask had been removed and they had stitched up her belly.

She looked so pale, as if she had been drained of her blood, which I guess she had.

She looked as if she were sleeping peacefully when her stitches were covered.

The nurses ushered me out all too soon. I felt the emptiness immediately. As if someone had taken a piece of me.

They brought me over to a scale and clipboard that held the birth certificate.

A tiny brunette nurse with lots of makeup looked at me with sympathy before asking me random questions. The only one I really paid attention to was when she asked the baby's name.

"Ashton." I responded immediately.

"And you are the father, correct?" She asked after scribbling stuff down.

"I might as well be. We don't know who the biological father is." I stated bitterly.

I saw the nurse wrinkle her nose up in disgust. She probably thought Sydney was a whore.

"She was raped." I stated. I didn't want her insulting Sydney.

The nurse's jaw dropped in shock.

"I-I'm sorry. I didn't realize. I just assumed..." She trailed off.

"That she was a whore? No, she wasn't." It felt weird to use a past tense with her, too real.

I eventually got the papers done and they handed over Ashton.

He was in a baby carrier, asleep.

I could not have imagined anyone anymore beautiful than the child that I was holding.

Except for Sydney that is.

We finally got back to Nash and I's apartment.

I found Sam laying against Nash on the couch, watching tv.

As soon as she noticed me come in though, she shot up and came to me.

"You never texted us what room! Or what hospital! Or how it was going! You shouldn't be back already either. Where's Sydney?" The last question hit me hard.

I set down the carrier and closed my eyes.

"She's gone." I whispered so silently you could barely hear it.

"No. She's not. Your joking. Your fucking with my head. Stop it." Sam pulled her eyebrows together in confusion as she tried to ponder what I'd just said. Then realization that I wasn't kidding finally dawned on her.

Horror washed across her face as her face contorted and she put her hand to her mouth as if she could contain the sobs seeping out.

I saw Nash hop up from the couch, race over to behind her just as her legs gave out. He caught her and just kept her in his lap on the ground.

She curled into his chest sobbing so loudly it was barely muffled by his shirt.

Nash met my eyes with pity clowding his usually bright ones. You could also see tears start to come to his eyes, but he quickly blinked them away as he broke eye contact with me and hugged Sam closer.

POV: Sam

I couldn't feel anything anymore.

I felt entirely numb.

I had run out of tears to shed and Nash's shirt was soaked in them.

I lifted my head from his chest and looked him in the eyes as he looked straight back at me.

He opened his mouth to say something, but thought better of it and closed it.

I look at Cameron who had gotten the baby out and was holding it in his arms awkwardly, unsure what to do with it.

Suddenly I felt a rush of anger. Not at him, but at the innocent child that he held.

This was its fault. If it hadn't have been born then Sydney would be alive right now.

"Sam calm down. You know it's not its fault." Nash whispered in my ear as if reading my thoughts.

I took a deep breath and nodded.

"You're right." I said smiling slightly at him. "It's whoever got her pregnant to begin with." I hissed looking back at the baby.

The baby looked very familiar.

Not only did it look like Sydney, but of another guy that I knew.

I couldn't put my finger on it.

I stepped away from Nash and towards Cameron and the baby.

"Cam, you don't know the first thing about babies do you?" I asked smiling.

Cameron shook his head ashamed.

I came in front of him and held my arms out for the tiny child dressed in the tiny jumper.

Cameron looked at me apprehensively before handing the baby over reluctantly.

The baby was so light, not anything like the 3 and 4 year olds I usually took care of at church. So delicate and fragile, I felt as if I held it too tightly it just might crack.

The baby looked up at me with wide blue eyes, curious.

I smiled down at it and studied its face.

"Boy or girl?" I asked Cameron monotoned as I rocked back and forth on my heels.

"Boy. His name is Ashton." He stated quietly.

"Did Sydney pick the name?" I asked as I turned to look at him.

Cameron shook his head. "No, I did."

I nodded in understanding as I looked back at little Ashton. He looked so familiar.

"He looks like someone I know... Someone that Sydney has talked to. I just don't know his name." I stated absentmindedly.

Nash had come up behind me and he touched the baby's head lightly, feeling his brown peach fuzz hair.

Cameron looked at me wide eyed.

"You do realize that's probably the father right?" He asked. "Who is it? Do you think you could point him out? We need to know Sam... I need to know." He stated quietly.

I thought hard on who it might be, but I couldn't put a finger on it.

Nash looked at Ashton carefully.

"I think I know who it is." He stated quietly and when he looked up he had more tears in his eyes. "Cameron does he not look familiar to you?" Nash asked pointedly, motioning to the baby.

POV: Cameron

I looked at my adopted son carefully.

Now that I look, he does look familiar.

It couldn't have been who I was thinking of though... He would never do that.

"You realize it too, don't you?" Nash asked suspiciously.

I shook my head violently. "No, it's not him. He could never do that." I stated stubbornly. I wouldn't believe it. I couldn't. My best friend would never do that.

"Who? Who do you think it is?" Sam asked confused as she swiveled the baby onto her opposite hip.

"If you had your memories you would know... " I trailed off when she looked at me sadly.

Nash looked at her and sighed, "It's--"