005: The Beginning

Jaejoong had always been an introverted person, even more so if he's with strangers so it wasn't weird at all when he remained silent throughout dinner. The only time he spoke in the Restaurant was when Third Master Jung asked him to order earlier. Since Jaejoong had never even visited the Hotel what more the Restaurant in it, he let the other man chose their food after shyly requesting to have 2 glasses of watermelon juice for his drink. Even though Father was quite strict in regards of table manners, he never managed to get rid of Jaejoong's odd eating habit that is his inability to eat without drinking at the same time. Since as long as he could remember, Jaejoong couldn't swallow much food unless he'd sipped on milk or sugary drink after every few bites. It's not really that bad of a habit and Jaejoong naturally drank lots of water out of meal times so Father gave up early. Even just thinking about it reminded Jaejoong of his main purpose of coming here. He'd been treated so kindly by the Kims, there's no room for failure tonight. He must make sure of the Third Master Jung's willingness to save the Kims' company.

Third Master Jung said nothing about his drink choices and Jaejoong decided not to explain. Their orders were served quite fast because Third Master Jung had, apparently, booked the entire Restaurant for their dinner appointment tonight. Jaejoong was not sure if he should be glad or disappointed with the arrangement. He's not good at dealing with onlookers and their obvious stares, but, he's also restless when it's just the two of them there. It's extremely awkward! So, Jaejoong quietly started on his dish as soon as it's served and somehow managed to finish it even though it's a little spicy for his liking. It's his mistake after all, not mentioning to the other that he can't really eat spicy food. Thankfully, the dish was really delicious so it was easily tolerable. If there's still a next time, Jaejoong would definitely tell Third Master Jung about his preferences.

"Dessert?"

Jaejoong hesitated.

"Please feel free to ask for anything you like."

Faced with Third Master Jung's encouragement, Jaejoong softly murmured his choice. "Ca- caramel Pud- pud- Pudding... Or- or Tiramisu... whichever a- a- available."

"Can you eat both?"

Jaejoong paused and after a quick thinking, decided to be honest. He slowly nodded. He have a very sweet tooth and his fondness for desserts shouldn't, or better said, can't be hidden at all.

"Then a slice of both for him and the usual Apple Pie for me."

The waiter nodded and walked away.

"Th- thank you." So, he's a frequent customer here.

Third Master Jung nodded.

Jaejoong wasted no time in enjoying his desserts. Even though his favourite café have tastier Caramel Pudding but Jaejoong hadn't eaten such perfect Tiramisu before! He can't help his contented feeling at all. If only he could ask for another serving... Better, if he could just bring a whole Tiramisu home!

But Jaejoong still know shame. He simply bit his lips and said nothing.

"Now. Let's talk business."

Jaejoong flinched. Of course it's still a business marriage although it looks one-sided for now. Even before, he had been a candidate for a few other marriages when the Kims' company was still fine. It's normal practices among wealthy families to start considering marriage partners as soon their child come of age. In fact, one of the family seemed to find him acceptable enough that both families had even started discussing about wedding contracts and details. However, as soon as news came out that their family was in trouble, that family expectedly cancelled all arrangements and no longer associated themselves with them.

But... To be so straightforward...

And what could he, or even the Kims' family, possibly offer the Third Master Jung for this business marriage? Even before facing bankruptcy, the Kims' business still can't compare to the Jung's vast wealth. Nobody in their right mind would've believed such marriage is possible. Even more so, Jaejoong.

"Wh- Wha- What does- the- the- the Third- Third Master want?" Braving himself, Jaejoong looked straight forward and for the first time, he saw the man's smile. Speechless, Jaejoong actually stared rather stupidly at the man's face silently admiring how handsome the Third Master Jung is.

"Thank you."

Jaejoong blinked, and immediately reddened as he awkwardly looked down at his hands on his lap. So embarrassing! Who knew he'd said his thought out loud! And why did the man said his gratitude with such a blank expression? He must've been used to hearing compliments about his looks... That's why he remained unconcerned and did not have any change on his facial expression at all. Jaejoong bit his lips, a little troubled with the thought.

"First, call me Yunho."

Jaejoong squinted his eyes and slowly tried the name. "Y- Yu- Yu- Yunho? Yun- ho."

"... If it's easier, Yun is also acceptable."

Jaejoong hesitated but his aim was to please the other man no matter what, so he finally agreed. "Yun."

"... Good."

Jaejoong's cheeks tinged pink even more. He liked hearing the tone Third Master Jung used when he praised him.

"My family is looking forward for my marriage."

There's something odd about the way he said it but Jaejoong couldn't really understand what's wrong. Isn't that normal? But then he suddenly remembered the conversation from last night and wondered if the Jungs' family relationship wasn't that close.

"They're... very insistent that I marry soon but the candidates they presented were mostly incompatible with me."

"Th- Then?"

"I have no inclination to marry but if marriage is inescapable, I would prefer someone who's obedient. By their requirements and mine, you're the most appropriate... Our coincidental meeting yesterday was also memorable."

Jaejoong had an inkling that he was right with his earlier assumption about the family's dynamics. Which affluent family, in their right mind, would've chosen a child from a family facing liquidation for their own? And a stuttering mess like Jaejoong too. The Third Master Jung must've known all his flaws after their unexpected encounter yet he is still the most suitable candidate? Jaejoong couldn't even imagine who the other candidates are.

"You are pleasant to look at and your temperament's acceptable."

Jaejoong never thought this day would come. He was chosen for who he was, imperfections and all, just because of his nature. "Th- Then, what- what should- I- I do?"

"Marry me. Use my surname. Accompany me and fulfill all your duties as a wife. For as long as you live, I will be loyal and provide for you."

Jaejoong's honestly surprised. It's a long term arrangement? Is it really possible? But even if it's untrue, that's the least of his worry at the moment. "My- My fa- family?"

"I would prepare some fund and openly express the Jung's family support for the Kims' company. I will have my people handle every arising matters until everything is solved. That would be your engagement gift. Would that be satisfactory?"

Jaejoong was speechless.

"This arrangement will be valid for as long as I'm able to, provided that you respect my one and only rule for this marriage."

Back stiffened, Jaejoong softly asked. This is it. The one thing that would make or break the deal. "Wh- wh-what is it?"

The Third Master Jung suddenly stared at him. "Even without any love, both of us will value this marriage and honor each other."

His eyes turned dark and cloudy, and for the first time Jaejoong truly feared him.

That man is dangerous.

"If you ever betray me, neither you nor your family will be able to handle the retribution."

Jaejoong swallowed. Looking back into those fearless eyes, he nodded. "Em. I- I under- stand."

"Good."