21

April 5th, 2018

"All right everyone! That's it. Make sure to drink water and walk around a bit because that was an intense forty-five minutes. Remember, next week is Spin with a Friend and your friend gets in for free. Please pre-register, it fills up fast." Kara calls after her escaping class. She smiles at their exhausted faces, knowing that despite the complaints, that almost all of them would be back for the next class. She hops off her own bike and begins toweling off the sweat from her arms, neck, and stomach.

"Hey, Coach K!" Kara jumps at the bright voice of the woman standing a little too close.

"Hey, Amanda. What can I do for you?" Kara asks her. She was a regular at her gym since the beginning.

"Well, I've been coming here for a while and I..." Amanda trails off, biting her lip and glancing away.

"What is it, Amanda? Is something wrong?"

"No! No. I was just wondering if maybe you would like to... Would you like to go on a date with me?"

"Oh, umm... well..." Kara was caught completely off guard.

"Forget it. It's stupid. I should go." Amanda hikes her bag higher on her shoulder, face beet red. Kara catches her wrist to keep her from running away.

"I'm sorry Amanda. I am so flattered. Really. I am just not in a good place right now." Kara tries to let her down gently.

"Right. I saw the tabloids, I just didn't realize they were true."

"They aren't," Kara says tersely, but she sees the hurt in Amanda's face.

"I'm sorry. As you can see, it's very complicated, and it wouldn't be fair to you at all."

"I get it, Kara. It's fine. Just thought I'd shoot my shot. Seems I missed."

"I'm sorry," Kara says.

"Please, there is nothing to apologize for."

"Still, I'm sorry."

"I'll see you around Kara." Amanda touches Kara's shoulder before leaving the room. Kara exhales. Amanda was a sweet woman, but, if Kara was honest, she felt her and Lena were becoming something and as long as there was that hope, no one could change Kara's heart. Kara grabs her gym bag and heads to let her employees at the front that she should be in her office. Then she heads down to see if Winn has anything new.

"Nothing. Nada. Zippo." Winn says in lieu of a greeting. Kara sighs and sits next to him.

"Where could she be?"

"An Alternate Universe?"

"I think that would be easier to find," Kara says, rubbing at her temples. Kara's phone begins to ring.

"It's Lena," Kara tells Winn, heading over to her living space to answer it from the comfort of her couch.

"Hey, Lee."

"Hey, Kara. Just taking a break from recording. I was wondering if you had any news?"

"Ugh no. Nothing new. Hows that banjo going?" Kara can practically hear the eye roll.

"Wonderfully. It turned out better than I thought. Sam is still skeptical. But don't change the subject. You really have nothing?"

"We just can't find her. It's like she has disappeared. Wherever she is, it doesn't exist."

"I'm sorry Kar, I wish I could help. Besides the kidnapping, I haven't spoken to my mother since before Lex... Wait. Doesn't Exist. I have an idea."