23

April 26th, 2018

Instead of flying back to London, Lena books her and Kara first class tickets back to National City. Kara was probably the best distraction Lena could have right now. They were able to settle in the large chairs and have breakfast while everyone else was boarding. Kara quested a movie on their private viewing screens. Kara was shocked to learn Lena had never seen Fight Club. Kara excitedly started explaining the plot and then quoting lines along with the actors. About halfway through Lena leans over and whispers in the ear that Kara doesn't have the earbud in.

"Is this even realistic? I mean, who would start something like that? And then it just spirals into crazier and crazier things."

Kara shifts slightly in her seat before clearing her throat. Nervously, she rubs her hand on her jeans and makes a face. Lena watches her fidget and raises an eyebrow at her and that seems to make Kara settle.

"I actually, may have, slightly, joined a Fight Club-like thing." Kara says softly, not to be overheard by the wandering flight attendants or the other passengers.

"You what?!" Lena says a little too loudly, causing heads to turn.

"You what?" She whispers harshly.

"I...I was in a pretty dark place, Lee. I mean I know you didn't cope with the break up well, and you know I started drinking. It was just something stupid I did. Most of the money I didn't need for bills went to charities." Kara pleads with Lena to understand. Lena sits there and stares blankly at the movie.

"You, the vigilante superhero, went to underground fight clubs, for money," Lena says slowly. Kara bites her lip and nods.

"Wow... I mean... wow. I don't really know what to say. That's... wow. Were you good? I mean of course, you were good. I'm sorry, I don't know what to do with this information." Lena sits back in her sit and furrows her brow. Kara chuckles softly.

"I was very good. Undefeated, in fact. But Alex found out and flipped, then she dragged me to therapy and I never went back."

"Aren't you afraid of repercussions. I mean those things are like really illegal. The people who run them don't like people just walking away."

"Nah, I was careful. I always wore a mask. Not the Powergirl one. This one covered the lower half of my face like a ski mask." Kara pops some more cashews in her mouth, relieved to get that off her chest.

"I never got jokes about airplane food. I mean I guess I never had it before you but this is great!" Kara pops some cut fruit in her mouth and hums contentedly.

"Darling, it's first class. Of course, the food is good. Are we really just blowing past the illegal fight club?"

"There's really not much else to say. I mean I did it, won a lot, then I quit. Did you need to talk about it more? Sorry, that wasn't supposed to sound sarcastic. Really, if you need to talk about it more then please let me know. I just promised I wouldn't keep secrets anymore so I thought you should know."

"No, you're right. I guess there really isn't anything to talk about. It was just a shock I guess. And you're sure no one will know?"
"I'm positive." Kara settles back in her seat to watch the end of her movie. Lena just stares blankly as she processes this new information. Somehow it all made sense in all the crazy that had become Lena's life. Lena flags down the flight attendant for a whiskey and a pen and paper. She had to clear her head in the best way she knew how.

Once back on the ground it was easy for the pair to grab their carry-ons and Lena to rent a car. In no time they were at the nearest five-star hotel and Lena was checking in under an assumed name. Kara immediately crashes on the couch, complaining of jet lag, and Lena gathers some stuff to take a shower. By the time she finishes, Kara is snoring softly on the couch. Lena smiles softly at the sight before grabbing an extra blanket from the closet and draping it over Kara. The bed calls her away from the peaceful sight as her eyelids grow heavy.