Baseball

After a while of driving, Edward comes to a stop at a small path. I see Emmett standing with his arms crossed against his chest. His stance just screams power and strength. I unbuckle and jump out of the Jeep without a second thought. I slam the door behind me and run over to Emmett.
"Emmett!" I cry out rushing over to him. He smiles as I come to a stop beside him. "Let's go! I want to see everyone!" He chuckles and turns around.
"Hop on Princess."
"Um it is Queen to you peasant!" I joke. He laughs loudly and takes off at vampire speed to the clearing where everyone is waiting. He runs up to Rosalie who smiles at me.
"I want down BFG." I say to Emmett.
"BFG?"
"Big Friendly Giant." Everyone laughs and greets me. After a few minutes my sister arrives with Edward. I walk along side Rosalie listening to her talk about jewelry.
"I'm more of a pearl person." I say softly.
"That's a good one too. Pure yet elegant." She says with a smile. "You know, I like you more than I like Bella." Says softly.
"Really? Why?"
"She's not as.... out going as you. She's more interested in keeping to herself and getting her way. You talk and listen. She wants to become one of us. You have no choice because of your mates. You will have two choices: be turned or die. And they cannot kill you because then they would lose themselves. They will turn you against your will if you refuse." She tells me. I nod.
"Izzy has never been the outgoing type. I was always the one who would say hello to a stranger in the supermarket just to see them smile. I always stay with Izzy because it's what she wants but if I were to have my choice, I would probably prefer somewhere away from her. So that I don't have to follow her everywhere." I reply. She nods, showing that she understands.
"It's about to start. I'll take you to Esme and then take off to the field." She says, picking me up and rushing at vampire speed to Esme. She sets me down and rushes away to her team.
"Shall we go down?" Esme asks softly.
"You don't play with them?" Bella asks.
"No, I prefer to referee—I like keeping them honest."
"Do they like to cheat, then?" I ask.
"Oh yes—you should hear the arguments they get into! Actually, I hope you don't, you would think they were raised by a pack of wolves."
"You sound like our mom." Bella says.
"Well, I do think of them as my children in most ways. I never could get over my mothering instincts—did Edward tell you I had lost a child?"
"No." Bella says softly.
"Yes, my first and only baby. He died just a few days after he was born, the poor tiny thing. It broke my heart—that's why I jumped off the cliff, you know." Esme says softly. I gasp, my eyes widen in surprise.
"Edward just said you f-fell." Bella stammers.
"Always the gentleman. Edward was the first of my new sons. I've always thought of him that way, even though he's older than I, in one way at least. That's why I'm so happy that he's found you, dear. He's been the odd man out for far too long; it's hurt me to see him alone." Esme explains to Bella.
"You don't mind, then? That I'm... all wrong for him?" Bella asks worriedly.
"No. You're what he wants. It will work out, somehow." Esme says with a smile. We keep walking until Esme stops. I look out and see Alice standing at what could only be called the pitchers mound. Edward is in the far left field. Carlisle is standing between the first and second bases. Emmett is at bat with Jasper as the umpire a few feet behind. Rosalie stands off to the side waiting for her turn to bat.
"All right, batter up." Esme calls out in a loud clear voice. Emmett takes his stance and Alice throws the ball, which Jasper catches.
"Was that a strike?" Bella whispers. I roll my eyes at her ignorance.
"If they don't hit it, it's a strike." Esme answers. Jasper throws the ball back to Alice. She winds up again and throws it. Emmett smashes the bat into it this time with a deafening crack.
"I see why you need the rain now." I mumble. Esme laughs.
"Home run." Bella mutters
"Wait," Esme cautions , listening intently, one hand raised. Emmett is a blur around the bases, Carlisle shadowing him. I see that Edward is missing.
"Out!" Esme cries in a clear voice. I stare in disbelief as Edward springs from the fringe of the trees, ball in his upraised hand, his wide grin visible even to me.
"Emmett hits the hardest," Esme explains, "but Edward runs the fastest." I learn the other reason they wait for a thunderstorm to play when Jasper, trying to avoid Edward's infallible fielding, hit a ground ball toward Carlisle. Carlisle ran into the ball, and then raced Jasper to first base. When they collide, the sound is like the crash of two massive falling boulders.
"Safe," Esme calls in a calm voice. I continue watching them play until Alice stops.
"I didn't see... I couldn't tell..." she says.
"What is it Alice." Carlisle asks.
"They were traveling much quicker than I thought. I can see I had the perspective wrong before." She says. Jasper leans over her, his posture protective.
"What changed?" he asks.
"They heard us playing, and it changed their path," she says, contrite, as if she feels responsible for whatever had frightened her. Seven pair of eyes flash towards my face and my sisters.
"How soon?" Carlisle asks, turning toward Edward.