Hunted and Afraid

"I said they are with us," Carlisle corrected in a hard voice.
   "But they are human," Laurent protested.
   "Yes." Emmett was very much in evidence at Carlisle's side, his eyes on James. James slowly straightened out of his crouch, but his eyes never left us, his nostrils still wide. Edward stayed tensed like a lion in front of my sister as Rosalie did the same in front of me . When Laurent spoke, his tone was soothing—trying to defuse the sudden hostility.
   "It appears we have a lot to learn about each other."
   "Indeed." Carlisle's voice was still cool.
   "But we'd like to accept your invitation." His eyes flicked toward me and back to Carlisle. "And, of course, we will not harm the human girls. We won't hunt in your range, as I said."
James glanced in disbelief and aggravation at Laurent and exchanged another brief look with Victoria, whose eyes still flickered edgily from face to face. Carlisle measured Laurent's open expression for a moment before he spoke.
"We'll show you the way. Jasper, Rosalie, Esme?" he called. They gathered together, blocking my sister and I from view as they converged. Alice was instantly at Bella's side, and Emmett fell back slowly, his eyes locked on James as he backed toward us. Rosalie took her place beside me, staring at the trio. Edward grabs my sisters arm and leads her away from the group with Alice trailing behind them. Emmett leads me away and follows Edward. Once we all reach the edge of the woods, Edward slings Bella over his shoulder as I am swung over Emmett's. The three vampires take off towards the jeep and we arrive in minutes. Edward and Emmett fling us into the backseats before climbing into the Jeep themselves.
"Strap them in." Edward orders Emmett. They immediately strap us in as we peel out towards the main road.
"Where are we going?" Bella asks after a few seconds. No one answered. No one even looked at her.
"Dammit, Edward! Where are you taking us?"
"We have to get you away from here—far away—now."
"Turn around! You have to take us home!" Bella shouted. She struggled with the stupid harness, tearing at the straps.
"Emmett," Edward said grimly. And Emmett secured her hands in his steely grasp.
"No! Edward! No, you can't do this."
"I have to, Bella, now please be quiet."
"I won't! You have to take me back—Charlie will call the FBI! They'll be all over your family—Carlisle and Esme! They'll have to leave, to hide forever!"
"Calm down, Bella." His voice was cold. "We've been there before."
"Not over me, you don't! You're not ruining everything over me!" She struggled violently, with total futility. Alice spoke for the first time.
"Edward, pull over." He flashed her a hard look, and then sped up.
"Edward, let's just talk this through."
"You don't understand," he roared in frustration. I'd never heard his voice so loud; it was deafening in the confines of the Jeep. The speedometer neared one hundred and fifteen. "He's a tracker, Alice, did you see that? He's a tracker!" I did a mental gasp. Then that means... he would be able to find us wherever we go. I see him look at me through the rear view mirror and nod. I look out the window, tears threatening to spill over.
"Pull over, Edward." Alice's tone was reasonable, but there was a ring of authority in it I'd never heard before.
"Listen to me, Alice. I saw his mind. Tracking is his passion, his obsession—and he wants them, Alice—then, specifically. He begins the hunt tonight."
"He doesn't know where—"
He interrupted her. "How long do you think it will take him to cross their scent in town? His plan was already set before the words were out of Laurent's mouth."
I gasped, knowing where our scent would lead. "Charlie! You can't leave him there! You can't leave him!" I thrashed against the harness.
"She's right," Alice said.
The car slowed slightly.
"Let's just look at our options for a minute," Alice coaxed.
"There are no options," Edward hissed.
"I'm not leaving Charlie!" I yelled.
He ignored me completely.
"We have to take her back," Emmett finally spoke.
"No." Edward was absolute.
"He's no match for us, Edward. He won't be able to touch her."
"He'll wait."
Emmett smiled. "I can wait, too."
"You didn't see—you don't understand. Once he commits to a hunt, he's unshakable. We'd have to kill him."
Emmett didn't seem upset by the idea. "That's an option."
"And the female. She's with him. If it turns into a fight, the leader will go with them, too."
"There are enough of us."
"There's another option," Alice said quietly.
Edward turned on her in fury, his voice a blistering snarl. "There—is—no—other—option!"
"Edward Please...... listen to her." I ask softly.
"Annie, I will not be responsible for the death of the kings mates!" He replies.
"Just listen damnit!" I growl as I nod to my sister telling her to say it.
"You take us back. I tell our dad we want to go home to Phoenix. We pack our bags. We wait till this tracker is watching, and then we run. He'll follow us and leave Charlie alone. Charlie won't call the FBI on your family. Then you can take us any damned place you want."
They stared at her, stunned.
"It's not a bad idea, really." Emmett's surprise was definitely an insult.
"It might work—and we simply can't leave their father unprotected. You know that," Alice says.
Everyone looked at Edward.
"It's too dangerous—I don't want him within a hundred miles of her."
"I demand that you take us home." I tried to sound firm. Edward sighs and looks at us.
"You're leaving tonight, whether the tracker sees or not. You tell Charlie that you can't stand another minute in Forks. Tell him whatever story works. Pack the first things your hands touch, and then get in your truck. I don't care what he says to you. You have fifteen minutes. Do you hear me? Fifteen minutes from the time you cross the doorstep." He says to us. Once we stopped Bella and I hurried to the house and mentally prepared ourselves for what would change our futures. I glance towards Bella and Edward.